Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm worried about my Lilo girl. :( She hasn't eaten in almost 48 hours now and has had nasty, pudding-consistancy, sticky, bloody diarrhea for 24 hours and vomited once last night. She puked up a piece of what looks like a walnut shell, rough with sharp edges and curved and just the right shape to get stuck in intestines and cause a blockage. She's still trotting around but is lying around more than normal.

I just found out yesterday that I am getting a tax return, I hope I'm not going to get to spend it on surgery for her.

Fingers crossed please!

ETA: Also, due to her food allergies she can't have chicken so no boiled chicken, just rice for her.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Oh no! :( Boy, we've both got it goin' on! I just posted something similar about Jazz.

Wow, I hope Lilo's OK. The whole obstruction thing worries me silly. These dogs we've chosen to love are so small that it seems like anything they ingest could potentially be very dangerous!

I really hope Lilo's OK, Livvy. Are you still working at a Vet's office? Can you take her in with you tomorrow if she doesn't improve?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw your post about Jazz... jeeze... when it rains it pours!

I've always been hyperparanoid about obstruction, even with the big dogs. Lilo's never really been one to eat random things but I guess this time she's taken to eating walnut shells and I'm not even sure when or where she got it. I don't have walnut trees in my yard or in my neighbor's.

It breaks my heart to see my normally bouncy teacup-border-collie just lying in her bed with her ears down.

I'm currently in school full time for a PA degree but I can drop her at my vet clinic where they know and love her and she loves them too if I need to in the morning. I'm actually thinking of taking her in and snapping a couple of xrays today... I can xray her by myself and then can email the shots to my vet.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I saw your post about Jazz... jeeze... when it rains it pours!

I've always been hyperparanoid about obstruction, even with the big dogs. Lilo's never really been one to eat random things but I guess this time she's taken to eating walnut shells and I'm not even sure when or where she got it. I don't have walnut trees in my yard or in my neighbor's.
Yeah, I just saw your comment. Thanks for chiming in. I'm in the same boat, about the paranoia, AND about mine just not getting into stuff. Neither of them chew on things, except Jazz and the Virbac chews I give the both of them, but Tango pretty much just licks at his. Other than that, they aren't destructive of things, so no reason to suspect that either of them would chew on something and then swallow it. Sounds like our dogs are similar in that regard. I wonder where she could have picked up a walnut shell??? :confused:

It breaks my heart to see my normally bouncy teacup-border-collie just lying in her bed with her ears down.

I'm currently in school full time for a PA degree but I can drop her at my vet clinic where they know and love her and she loves them too if I need to in the morning. I'm actually thinking of taking her in and snapping a couple of xrays today... I can xray her by myself and then can email the shots to my vet.
Oh Wow! Great that you have that medical resource if you need it. :hello1: Here's hoping you won't find anything on the Xray to cause you more worry! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's strange that we try so hard to keep them safe, buying the best food, good chewies, monitoring chewies, safe yards, etc and they somehow come up with a darn random walnut shell! It does sound like ours are similar in the chewing, Lilo will chew on her bully sticks and such but I've never seen her even pick up a stick outside like the border collies do, much less eat anything.

It is very nice to have the keys to the clinic! :) I'll keep you posted and keep my fingers crossed that Jazz gets over her issue with no further problems!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Keep us posted. Poor baby. It's so hard when they don't feel well.

Just an FYI - I had a ferret with an obstruction several years ago. I saw him eat a pencil eraser and sure enough - he was blocked by the next morning. Instead of rushing to surgery, my vet did a barium swallow to try and see what was going on in the gut and the laxative effect of the barium actually caused him to pass it. Just an idea.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good morning! We did x-rays... inconclusive. She did eat a little last night and wanted to play agility with the big dogs which was a huge improvement to just lying around. We're thinking that the sharp edged walnut shell was the culprit. It irritated the devil out of her stomach and caused her to quit eating as well as the vomiting. The bloody diarrhea? Maybe another piece of shell further down the GI tract? So for now we are considering that if she will eat and act normally we are just going to watch her. If she starts having trouble again we will do a barium swallow.

How is Jazz this morning?!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not especially helpful for the actual ailment, but if you have squirrels in your area and there's a walnut tree within half a mile, you can get walnut shells in your yard - the little monsters haul those things a long way to hide them! This time of year, they're digging up what they buried last year and eating it, leaving shells everywhere. I found peanut shells in the yard yesterday and nobody within five houses feeds peanuts. I hope that both your dogs will be healthy again soon.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That might be exactly what happened. We have lots of squirrels around. The border collies will kill them if they come in the yard while the big dogs are out but I'm sure the little rodents use all day while I'm at work to have parties in my yard and tease the dogs who are trapped inside. And leave nut shells around...

I hadn't thought of that. Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts