Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so bad for my gang... they have to go outside and freeze there little feet off. by the time they get back to the door they can hardly stand.. and thats just going to the bottom step. and peeing and turning around and coming back in. I am tempted to break out the pee pads..

is it easy to retrain to use peepads??

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
We used a pee pad for Jaxx when we went away for most of the day a couple weeks ago. I put him in the bathroom with all of his toys and bed and then put a pee pad in the corner.

I was worried that he would not use it and the bathroom would be a mess when we got back but it was not he used the pee pad without any retraining. I was also worried that it would make him go back to using the bathroom in the house and except for one incident that has not happened either. The one incident was that my boyfriend left the bath mat down in the bathroom and later that day I found that Jaxx had used the bathmat as a pee pad. I did not blame Jaxx though because we were the ones that had put the pee pad out when we had to go to Dallas for the day and my boyfriend was the one that left the bathmat down.

You might have to show them where the pee pads are a couple times which we did with Jaxx before we left that day. Just keep an eye on them and if you see them getting ready to go take them to the pee pads so that they know where to go.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I have seen dogs with shoes on before, but I think by the time you got them on twelve feet you probably wouldn't need to go outside any more if you know what I mean! LOL.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I have thought about buying Jaxx shoes. I am not worried about his feet this winter so much because it has not gotten really cold here in TX but, I am worried about his little feet this summer when the temps get 100+ (especially if this summer is anything like last summer 70+ days of 100+) I know that the cement and black top is always super hot and I would not want to walk on it at 100+ degrees so I would hate to think about Jaxx walking on it this summer.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
You know I have wondered about that. Lulu doesn't go outside so I don't have any experience with hot pavement and dogs, but it definitely makes sense to me.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I trained Amberleah to go on pad and out side, because I no her feet would freeze in winter here, my Pom's always had frozen feet and had to go out side to get them they couldn't make it back in.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I have thought about buying Jaxx shoes. I am not worried about his feet this winter so much because it has not gotten really cold here in TX but, I am worried about his little feet this summer when the temps get 100+ (especially if this summer is anything like last summer 70+ days of 100+) I know that the cement and black top is always super hot and I would not want to walk on it at 100+ degrees so I would hate to think about Jaxx walking on it this summer.
It gets that hot here in Bakersfield too. I would just make sure to walk early in the morning or late at night to get around burning their feet. I know with my dogs, you put anything on their feet/legs they do the Silly Walk (a la Monty Python) and spend more time trying to get them off than actually walking.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I trained Amberleah to go on pad and out side, because I no her feet would freeze in winter here, my Pom's always had frozen feet and had to go out side to get them they couldn't make it back in.
thats what happened to Lola :(

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My guys shred pee pads. I can't put one down for a minute. I have to use an astroturf island plus newspapers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maisy hates going out in the cold and the rain. Today she had mud almost all the way up her legs to her body. She doesn't mind being dirty (she's a huge tomboy) but mommy minds mud on the carpet and couch!

We bought her snow boots because when we adopted her there was 2 feet of snow on the ground. She kicked every single one of them off the moment she stood up. Needless to say, after a few failed attempts, I sold them on eBay. If she lets me know it's super cold for her, I'll carry her to her usual pee spot and pick her up once shes done. She refuses to learn how to use the potty pads. When we crated her during the day, she would always pee next to it! I gave up and she an outside pee-er now.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have pee pad trained mine from the beginning, but I do think it is possible for you to retrain them
When I started potty training I bought one of those synthetic grass potty things and It worked quite well from the start.
I would also suggest for you to take a look at the pawz boots.
My chis are SOOOO lazy they barely walk outside when it is nice and warm. But in the cold rainy/snowy weather I put on the pawz boots and they seem to enjoy walkies a bit more without cold feet. They aren't like normal booties, they are really thin, almost like a balloon type material.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts