Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend works at an acreage and there is a wolf living there named Mikko. Anybody can argue all they want, this is a wolf. He showed up on the farm one day and just never left. They feed him dog food but he usually eats birds and whatever else he catches. In the winter time people would worry about him and managed to coax him into the shop so he wouldn't freeze to death. He would stay long enough for a bite and a drink and then we wanted back outside. There are lots of hiding spots for him including a couple of heated shacks and a doghouse.

Mikkos hips have been getting progressively worse for about a year now. When my boyfriends' boss went on vacation a few weeks back, Mikko got really bad - he could barely stand up and he also stopped eating. Then he disappeared for over a week. Nobody could find him. We figured he'd gone away and died. Well this week he came back. They followed his footprints in the fresh snow and found that he'd been in one of the shacks all that time without eating or drinking (he wasn't closed in).

Now he's in REALLY bad shape. They have him in a shop and he can't get up on his own at all. He's urinating and defecating on himself without even standing up. He is eating dog food now but he just lays there.

Keith told me that his boss' wife wants to get him into a vet and get his hips fixed but I think that he is dying. Even if his hips were better, you can see that there is almost no life left in him. I got very upset today watching him. He was breathing so shallow that you could barely see his chest move. We were working on a truck banging around and he wouldn't even lift his head or open his eyes to see. He was shuddering and he tried getting up at one point. That was when I had to leave. I feel bad saying this but I hope he dies tonight. If he doesn't die I hope they put him out of his suffering soon.

I'm sorry to blab on so long but this has me really upset. I've cried so many times today thinking about him. That is the worse I've ever seen an animal suffer. I know of everyone I know, you guys will understand most.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am very sorry. Wild animals are short lived and he probably lived longer than he normally would have without the extra's. It is good to let him be he will know when it is his time and go somewhere and lay down. I am sorry he is in pain... that is always so tragic.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Awww...poor baby. That's so sad. I hope he doesn't have to be in pain much longer. I think that even if his boss' wife does take him in to fix his hips, most vets are pretty honest & won't do the surgery if they don't think it will help or if they won't make it through the surgery. Maybe it will help her feel better if she hears it from a vet.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks you guys. I knew telling you about it would make me feel better. I haven't talked to Keith at all today so I don't know what happened yet.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just asked Keith and he said "He's gone to a better place." I asked if he died or if they put him down and he said "He's gone to a better place!" So I dropped it. I'm just glad he's not suffering anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts