Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know what is wrong with P-Nut... she has not been herself lately at all... does not want to play, sleeps all the time, does not want to do anything, does not get down off the couch herself, nothing... she is eating normal, walks normal, but is just not herself. I had her to the vet and he said she probably hurt her back and needs to heal... he thought she would be fine in a day or two... it is day two and she has not changed. He put her on Prednisone to help w/ inflammation but she has not changed. ANyone ever experience this? I am sooo worried... she did not fall, hurt herself or anything... I watch her like a hawk so nothing odd happened to her. I am soooooo scared and worried about her....

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
that must be terrible not knowing what is wrong ...if i was you i would go to another docter for a second opinion. ''she probably hurt her back'' wouldn't satisfie me!! i hope there's nothing really wrong with her........please keep us posted

kisses nat

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Yes i agree i would take her to another vet, is there one not too far that knows about Chihuahuas more than your vet, prayers said for Pnut xx :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
When Bruisr acts like that, it is usually his tummy. But, you might want to get a second opinion??? Poor P-Nut. I just hate it when mine babies arn't feeling well.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Awww I hope she feels better soon. I think you should definetely get a second opinion. They may say the exact same thing but then you will feel a little better

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I hope she gets better soon! I would be worried too! I agree with Nat - try another vet for a second opinion. Keep us updated how she's doing!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CooperChi said:
I hope she gets better soon! I would be worried too! I agree with Nat - try another vet for a second opinion. Keep us updated how she's doing!
That is the thing, I do not know where to go because this is our second opinion vet and I do not want to go back to the one we were going to b/c they still may try to talk me into the anal sac removal surgery. There are a few other vets near me but none that I have ever heard good things about so I am stuck... the two vets I went to are the ones who are supposedly the best in the area.

I may just go to the 24hr emergency place a little ways away if I have to... maybe there they will investigate more. I talked to a few people and they said she would not have an appetite if it was a lot of other things nad believe me she has an appetite (thank God otherwise I would be even more worried).

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
well you know p-nut best........so maybe you can just keep a close eye on her. but if something else changes in her behaviour, i would go to that emergency thing you mentioned

kisses nat

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i have a terrible memory... how old is she again? and is she fixed? if she isn't this might be a heat cycle starting... if she is than i have no idea, anything change in her environment?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am sorry to hear about P-Nut! My chihuahua sometimes has his "off days" (at least thats what I call them) But he is usaully all better within 24hrs. have you changed the brand of dog food she eats lately? I have heard that somtimes dogs react to that strangely. I hope she feels better!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There has been NO CHANGE in diet, routine, etc... IT IS DEFINITELY her back or something... someone just came to the door and she tried to run up there and when she moved off the chair she YELPED. I am trying to find a doggy chiropractor (her daddy is one too but has never worked on animals so he said he wouldn't want to dare try on her)... Poor little baby...

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Fynn used to yelp for no reason getting up sitting down us picking her up and we took her to the vets her anal sac one side had, had an abcess and burst we didnt see any of it or the contents, vet showed me the small hole :shock:and i had to keep cleaning it several times a day it healed up she has high fibre food such as weetabix, seed toast or fruit n fibre flakes for breakfast and this with her food has helped, no problems touch wood.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
luvmypuppet said:
i have a terrible memory... how old is she again? and is she fixed? if she isn't this might be a heat cycle starting... if she is than i have no idea, anything change in her environment?
She will be 2 next Saturday :( She has been fixed so she is not going into heat... I agree w/ the vet that it may be her back or her leg (she is walking around normal though), and nothing else has changed. She is just so miserable... I am giving her the Predosone... if she is not a lil better tomorrow then we will be going again... I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for all of your kind words.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Don't know if you remember, but I posted about something similar with Jasmine a few weeks ago. She was eating well (for her, anyway) and did not seem to be really sick, but she was just very lethargic, not playful and seemed to sleep more than usual. By the second day, it was really worrying me. However, after 3 days of this, she snapped back to her usual self just as I was going to call for a vet appt. I would definitely take her back to the vet or to the emergency clinic if she does not seem better soon.

Give p-nut a hug and kiss for me -

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Wow, this is kind of an open book since no real diagnostics were done.

Monitor all GI symptoms, appetite, vommitting, diarrhea if any. Make sure bowel movements are normal and on a regular basis. Watch for pain while defecating or urinating, or changes in eating behavior, signs of oral pain. Watch how your dog breaths, if they breath too shallow or too deep, or if they breath too fast.

If they think she hurt her back, keep her cage rested until you see improvement, jumping will aggravate things. Watch for limps or pain when she moves in certain directions or makes certain movements.

If they haven't I would have definately taken baseline bloodwork including PCV already and checked for anemia, electrolyte imbalances, toxicities. I would consider a whole body radiography abdomen technique to look for foreign objects or spinal injuries.

There's a lot that can be done to narrow the problem down and it doesn't sound like your vet is doing a very thorough job especially if the problem persists. At the risk of being pushed on anal sac surgery, I'd say a second opinion would be worth it. The worst that could happen is that they suggest and you decline, but they have better idea of what's primarily wrong.

Keep us updated!

-Nate

1 - 19 of 19 Posts