Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the Vet's...no emergency, just Tango's dental. He did fine, no extractions, in fact the vet was complimentary on how good his teeth looked compared to last time when he had to have several removed and his mouth was just nasty.

I say poor Tango because his body just doesn't do anywhere near as well as Jazz's does with the medicines it's bombarded with. He's still fairly dopey whereas Jazz was bouncing around. He has diarrhea whereas there was no discernible difference in Jazz's stool. I fed him a bit, per the Vet's instructions (it's been almost 24 hours since he's eaten other than a few licks of Nutrical) and he threw probably half of it back up. Jazz wolfed down the bit I gave her, and was so insistent to get more that I gave her a little extra and she kept everything down no trouble.

He's sitting in my lap wrapped in a blanket, still a bit dopey but won't just curl up and sleep off the last of the anesthesia. I don't know if that's because he doesn't feel good and is thinking he might have to go poop or throw up some more and so won't settle. Or if it's because he's just so dopey that he isn't thinking straight. Seriously, he's sitting up, eyes keep closing, head keeps drooping, but he WON'T just lie down and sleep. I don't get it! :confused:

Oh well, we'll just settle down for a cozy, quiet evening and he'll do whatever he's gonna do, and eventually he'll get back to normal. He did the last time, by next morning he acted as if nothing had happened. Hopefully he'll be the same this time.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Awwww, poor baby boy...

Be careful and don't let him trick you into thinking he's recovered from the anesthesia! I thought Jack was fine, walked away and left him on the couch and he walked right straight off of it without catching himself trying to follow me. I felt terrible, but he was fine.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Godric is the same way, Gretel isn't perfect but she at least doesn't scare me like G does.

Hope Tango feels better soon!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Aw poor Tango. :( Sounds like maybe it just stays in his system a bit longer than it did Jazz. Hopefully he's back to his normal self VERY soon!!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Next time you have to put him under, I would ask for less anethesia. That sounds so scary to me in him throwing up & not eating.
Lisa under other circumstances I'd think so too, but this is the way he routinely responds after anesthesia (he's been put under 4 times now) PLUS, I have an instant comparison with Jazz.

They are only 2-4 ounces apart in weight, they've had the same procedures done by the same Vet yet they each react and respond very differently. Jazz bounces back almost instantly. By the time I pick her up, she's pretty much bouncing off the walls like normal, and other than curling up a little earlier than usual to sleep, there is no discernible difference in her behavior after surgery. But for whatever reason, Tango's system doesn't metabolize the drugs as well, as efficiently, or as quickly as Jazz's does. Other than the fact that Tango's two years older than Jazz (3 1/2 versus 1 1/2) there's really little difference in them. They're both extremely healthy, both weigh more or less the same and at their ideal weights, get the same food, exercise, preventative care, meds, etc. Other than their origins which I'm unclear on because they're both rescues, there are no major differences between them.

Tango's doing much better this morning. Pretty much back to his normal self except for a little bit of a cough, which is normal because of the trach tube irritating his throat. Jazz has the same reaction.

And his teeth sure do look purdy! :hello1:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awwww, poor baby boy...

Be careful and don't let him trick you into thinking he's recovered from the anesthesia! I thought Jack was fine, walked away and left him on the couch and he walked right straight off of it without catching himself trying to follow me. I felt terrible, but he was fine.
Oh man, that sucks! :( And of COURSE you felt like the WORST owner in the world, huh? I know *I* would have lol!

Nope, no walking off the couch thankfully. He did walk right into the stairs I have against the couch though, poor baby. He was going at a snail's pace, and they're well padded, so no damage was done. He just looked a bit perplexed, then backed up, changed angles, and walked UP them instead which is what he was trying to do to begin with. I guess his depth perception was just temporarily skewed.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Awwww, bless him :-(

When I take my Dane in (they can be bad about not waking up with regular anesthesia) my vet does something else with him that is more of a gas (I think it is fairly new and as soon as it is turned off they wake up) this instead of waiting on anesthesia to wear off. Someone else probably knows the name of this but I opt for this now when I am there over the regular anesthesia as it isnt as dangerous. Maybe you could see if your vet uses this and request it with Tango for anything in the future?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts