Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I lifted Tico to my bed and he walked right across it and fell off the other side. It's a platform bed so he fell on the platform, not all the way to the ground, but it still worried me. He wasn't fazed at all. And last week, he went to bark at my daughter that he really doesn't like and walked off the couch. His sight is gone and I don't know what to do. He takes himself up onto the couch, he loves laying up there. And he would not let me sleep if he wasn't on the bed, under the covers with me. He totally freaks if he is put into a crate, he spent all his life in a cage before I got him. He just panics if I have to put him in one; he scratches hysterically at the door and barks over and over until I let him out again. I want to keep him safe and still let him do the things he loves in whatever little time he has left.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Aw, Poor Tico, it probably scares him that he can't see. Does he attach himself to any of the other pups that can help lead him where he needs to go, i've seen blind dogs that have a mate that kinda takes care of them. He's so lucky to have you.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
That is so sad. I'm glad he had you at least for his last years. It's so horrible what people do to dogs just to make money. I don't have any suggestions, other than possibly harness/leashing him to part of the bed at night so he can't fall off?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aw, Poor Tico, it probably scares him that he can't see. Does he attach himself to any of the other pups that can help lead him where he needs to go, i've seen blind dogs that have a mate that kinda takes care of them. He's so lucky to have you.
No, he is very aloof from the other dogs. He likes Billy, but not enough to follow him around as Billy is more interested in running around and playing. And he likes Twiggy, but she mostly just lies around herself. The rest he drives away from himself. He was never socialized at all.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is so sad. I'm glad he had you at least for his last years. It's so horrible what people do to dogs just to make money. I don't have any suggestions, other than possibly harness/leashing him to part of the bed at night so he can't fall off?

Thank you Kristi. I will be sure after this that he will be the last I lift up because as soon as I am under the covers, he comes and curls up next to me. I just didn't think he would walk off the bed. I would love to find his old owners and cage them for years. The only reason he's blind is untreated eye infections. Just breaks my heart.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Aww poor Tico :( it's so sad when these things happen, I really do hope he's ok, I cant imagine how upsetting it is for you to see him like this. How long has he lived with you? X

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
We no longer allow dogs to sleep on the bed with us for that very reason. It's okay when they're young and healthy, but then you get to feel really bad when they have a hard time with getting up and down. So, what we did was put the sofa cushions and pillows around the area where they got up and down, so if they fell off, it would at least be a soft landing! I've even tried sleeping on the floor with them, it didn't work, they still wanted on the bed. That's when we came up with the cushion idea. You could use blankets, also.
It is so hard not to let them in the bed, but this time around I stayed strong. . .so far!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aww poor Tico :( it's so sad when these things happen, I really do hope he's ok, I cant imagine how upsetting it is for you to see him like this. How long has he lived with you? X
I found him a little over a year ago. He's never had much sight since I got him, but he was able to see enough to get around. It is sad to see him like this. He gets lost sometimes outside. Not often as I always place him in the same place when I take him out. But I've noticed I've had to go get him more and more lately.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We no longer allow dogs to sleep on the bed with us for that very reason. It's okay when they're young and healthy, but then you get to feel really bad when they have a hard time with getting up and down. So, what we did was put the sofa cushions and pillows around the area where they got up and down, so if they fell off, it would at least be a soft landing! I've even tried sleeping on the floor with them, it didn't work, they still wanted on the bed. That's when we came up with the cushion idea. You could use blankets, also.
It is so hard not to let them in the bed, but this time around I stayed strong. . .so far!
I thought of putting things on the floor but many of my boys came to me older and not fixed so they believe anything left on the floor is fair game to pee on.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I found him a little over a year ago. He's never had much sight since I got him, but he was able to see enough to get around. It is sad to see him like this. He gets lost sometimes outside. Not often as I always place him in the same place when I take him out. But I've noticed I've had to go get him more and more lately.
Aww poor little man, he's lucky to have you and I bet he's so glad you took him in. I'm sorry you're having to see him like this, my thoughts are with you and Tico xx

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
what about putting some foam rubber around the platform? That way at least he would have a soft landing. Also what about putting some of those bumpers that they use for babies around that side of the bed?? Sue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts