Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, you may have seen my new member post, if not, I am a first time Chi owner with a 13 week little girl. I have owned dogs before but never anything so small. My question is about food portion size. I am finding it very hard to know I am feeding Poppy the right amount. She weighs only 1.1 pound and none of the puppy foods cater for that small a dog!! Most say 'up to 5kg', well there is a big difference between 5kg and 1.1 pound!! At the moment I am feeding her a 150g sachet of puppy food a day spread between meals with about 5/6 puppy dry food biscuits sprinkled on top. She seems to 'woof' this down in just a few seconds and lick the bowl clean. I was feeding her more but my vet said my portion size was too big. Does 150g of meat sound about right for a pup her size? She has PLENTY of energy. I presume she would overeat if she had the chance and not stop when she was full if the portion was too big? I read some places about leaving the bowl down for 10 mins and after that, taking away anything thats left. Is this a better way to do it? Any advice would be appreciated. Oh if there are any spelling mistakes, its cos Poppy is 'helping' me type this thread!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hi Welcome!!

She's a dinky little thing isn't she?

I don't feed dog food but my Daisy was fed RC when i first got her.. its said something like up to 5kg 25g per day.. i just worked out the percentage for her weight and divided the recommended amount by that (and minused some as they are really generous portions they give you) and split it up.

What food are you feeding her?? If i can find the information and the recommendations i can check what you should be feeding her??

I've heard about the 15 min rule but seriously if i put a whole pile of food down for Daisy she's scoff the lot in seconds and end up massively over weight.. If you've got a scoffer i wouldnt' recommend doing it lol

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
You would feed her about 1/10th of the portion size for 5 kgs. :) So if it's one cup recommended for 5 kgs., you'd feed 1/10th of a cup. Basically, break down that portion in 10ths. However, that would probably be about 20 kibbles a day, which isn't enough for a puppy that age.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hi all. Im questioning now.....maybe she is 1.1kg, thats still only 2.4lbs....I think i will give my vet a call and check in the morn (no scales in THIS house!!).
Hahahaha thats so funny.. do you have normal scales for you? You can get a rough estimate that way

1 - 7 of 7 Posts