Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. My new chi is 8wks today, I've had her 1 wk. My older (1yr) Chi Pippy thinks that she is this puppy's mom or something, she loves her. Pippy and Libby (Pup) can play, and play, wonderfully a lot. Then other times Pippy will try to get Libby to play by poking her w/her nose, not meanly, and Libby will actually snarl and snap, baring her teeth at Pippy, Libby will keep this up till I remove her from Pippy. Is she just saying I don't want to play now, or is this a preview to a really bad personality as an adult??? She does not show any aggression towards people, yet. I have NEVER had an 8wk old puppy act like this! I'm very concerned. Also since I got the puppy my King Charles cross who is 8months, has become food aggressive and attacked both my Chi's tonight. I don't know if she is detecting a bad vibe from this pup, or just jealous because Pippy used to be HER best friend, and now LOVES the puppy???????? I have 2 kids ages 11 and 4, I'm afraid I'm going to have a dog that bites. I don't want them getting bit. What do you all think??? :(

2chi's

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I would think that Libby is just letting Pippy know that she doesn't want to play. As for your King Charles, she could also just be acting out because there is a new dog in the house. I think that puppy's can sometimes be real brats when they are young, so this might not be a big deal. :)

I would just keep a close eye on them and let Libby know it's not o.k. to behave that way. Make sure your children aren't alone with the puppy just in case she might bite them.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
That definitely sounds like jealousy on the part of your King Charles. Sort of like when you have a small child in the house and bring home a new baby. Some jealousy is only natural. However, you do need to let your King Charles know this is not acceptable behavior. Do also show him some extra love and attention so he doesn't feel neglected and left out.

The new puppy is probably just saying she doesn't want to play right now, but I would keep a close eye on her around your small child. I do feel the puppy is too young to label her as aggressive, but I admit I don't have a lot of experience in this area. I think some young puppies are "pushy", but not necessarily aggressive, and some are submissive, This said, you should moniter her carefully, and if this continues, let her know this is not acceptable behavior. She's just a baby, and it is up to you to set the boundaries.

Please keep us posted on how things are going.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts