Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was brushing Peanuts teeth today and I noticed that his molars were dirty. I tried to clean them but he wouldnt let me, so I told my Fiance to do it for me... Well, we saw that his gums are swollen and red and he is missing a tooth (not sure if it just never grew in)! Has anyone had this problem??

I am freaking out because the day before yesterday I went with my sister to the Vet and it ends up that her cat has severe gingivitis. I have never really looked at Peanuts gums because he just doesnt let me and now I dont know if they are red because I was brushing them or because he also has gingivitis. Tomorrow I am going to look at his teeth to see if they are still red and if they are I am going to go to the Vet.

I am so scared and hope its not gingivitis.. My poor baby already has Bilateral Luxating Patella and might need surgery for it, I hope he doesnt have another problem :cry:

Does anyone have any advice?

Yael

·
Registered
277 Posts
How old is peanut? What you see that looks like "dirt" is probably a hard tartur buildup on the teeth. Makes the teeth look stained and happens the most towards the back of the mouth. I would imagine his gums were irritated from the brushing. I wouldn't be terribly concerned unless they were bleeding and his breath smelled bad. Chihuahuas are notorious for having problem teeth and one of ours will have to have a dental next year and he'll only be 2 years old. Keep a good eye on it and if his mouth starts to smell funky have the vet check them out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peanut is 10 months old, He will 11 months tomorrow (on the 15th)!

I know I shouldnt worry so much about things so quickly but I cant help it! I thought that it was too early for gingivitis but my sisters cat is approx. 1 year old (she doesnt know because she adopted him) and he already has severe gingivitis, but I think that he was possibly born with him?

Thank you for your reply!

Yael

·
Registered
277 Posts
I know its hard not to worry. If only they could talk to us and tell us exactly what was going on. Like I said, we knew our Fritzy had bad buildup because his breath smells funny. The other 2 have great teeth. Its something people who own small breed dogs have to constantly watch because they have teeth issues. I don't want to have a 10+ year old chi that doesn't have any teeth left. I think thats just unfair to live that way!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
The poor guy probably doesn't like anyone messing with his teeth because they hurt. Lily never liked it either... she's had 3 dental surgeries and a total of 6 teeth extracted. Once her teeth were all cleaned and healed this last time I started brushing them every day to try to avoid future problems. She still doesn't like having her teeth brushed but she no longer fights it. She even curls her upper lip on each side to facilitate the brushing (how cute is that :lol: ).

Talk to your vet and see what he/she recommends. You want to catch any dental problems before they occur or at least before they cause real harm (Lily's heart murmur is probably a result of an infection caused by dental decay). I don't mean to alarm you (Lily's situation is obviously much more severe than Peanut's) but I was unaware that tooth decay could have such dire consequences if untreated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rachel, wow.. I didnt even know that tooth decay would cause such severe issues..Poor Lily, how is she doing with the heart murmur??
I hope she is alright..

Thank you both for your replies, I am going to post tomorrow and let you guys know if his gums are still swollen and red.. Lets hope its not! :D

Yael

1 - 6 of 6 Posts