Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some advice about possibly getting a male chihuahua puppy. I've been thinking about getting another female chi, but a co-worker's parents are giving up their little male puppy because he's "too much for them". The thing is I've always preferred female dogs. My parents have a male shih tzu mix and he is so bad...always barking and peeing everywhere. I think he turned me off of male dogs. What are your experiences with boys?

Also, this little guy seems very unsocialized. I think he's probably around 5-6 months old and he just goes nuts barking at everyone that walks by him. Do you think that's something that can be changed with some socialization or will he always be insecure? Emi is like that to an extent, but she calms down when people baby talk to her hahaha. I adopted her when she was 2 (she's 8 now) and I've tried to get her over the stranger danger thing, but haven't had much success.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hmmmmm ... sounds like you might have your hands full with an unsocialized boy who might make your girl even more prone to bark. They do tend to play off of one another. Yes, I think it can be done and, yes, it will be a lot of hard work! Good luck in whatever you decide.

Jeanette

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I've had a boy dog (not chi) that was mistreated, unsocialized! He came around quickly at 8 months old with lots of love and attention. He was very smart & loyal. He died of old age many years ago, but my point is boys can be just as lovable, social & loyal as girls. It's just up to you whether or not you are willing to take whatever it is this boy puts you through. It can be a lot of work, but I know you'll fall in love with him as much as Emi.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Don't discount the boys. They don't pee everywhere unless they haven't been trained not to. Get him neutered at 6 months and he won't mark. The boys are lovers. I'd always have a boy after having Brody!

If he's 5-6 months old then I'd talk about neutering with your vet and get it done right away. That will help with the hormones and house training.

Sounds like this one may need some socialization and work, but it may just be high energy that you can channel with walks and training. I'd say to go and meet him and see what you think.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yep, don't count the boys out on this one. My OH and I looked high and low for a suitable girl to add to our family and even on the drive out to meet Godric we were skeptical about whether or not we wanted a boy - I would never do it over.

I love Godric, he is the ultimate mommas boy and a total snuggler - I wouldn't have him any other way :] And on that note every dog is different, Godric was potty trained in a flash and doesn't have accidents as of yet. No marking, he barely even cocks his leg.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I didn't think about Emi feeding off of his nervous energy, but you are right...they do feed off of each other so that is something I need to consider. I think I'm going see about maybe doing a little trial period with him. He could be a lot different when he's not caged in a scary place full of strange people and dogs. I have met him twice at work...when they first got him and about two weeks ago. Huge difference! When they first got him he was a little nervous, but still curious and playful. The last time I saw him he just would not let me near him. I don't work again until Saturday so if nobody has adopted him by then I'll talk to my coworker. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
It is definitely doable with some patience and training. All I have are boys in all of my breeds and they are loving, mama's boys :) If he is cocking his leg and peeing and not neutered yet then you may want to look into neutering him ;-)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Slightly unrelated.
What I've noticed is that there seems to be more boy chis being re-homed then girls.
So for whatever reason, they may be less desirable to most then the girls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts