Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So her breeder emailed me more pics and my heart just melted. I am for sure in love now!!!

This is her currently at 10 weeks:)

Her fur is actually like a blue and fawn color after seeing this pic..

I am so excited and am planning to go see her this Sunday hopefully.

Any name suggestions??

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She's really cute. Her eyes look kinda funky to me though. Sort of googly if that makes sense! But she's still a doll and I'm sure it's her age. They should strengthen and be more 'forward' looking as she grows, I would think. She doesn't look hydrocephalic to me, but be sure and palpate her molera and hopefully it's not a big huge one. Also, check her vision, those eyes have me a little 'bugged'! :)

ETA: I may be focused on her eyes because of all the problems I had with Brody's and his episode of blindness/detached retinas. It makes me super sensitive to their little eyes and vision.

I do think she's darling. :)

If she were mine, I'd have her evaluated at the vet immediately after getting her with a contingency clause with her breeder that if something is found wrong with her, you get a full refund or the breeder pays for her problems. Remember, these itty bitties come with a price and I'm not talking "cash" price. Sometimes they are so micro tiny because they have health problems. We are all in love with Jade and how itty bitty she is, and T is lucky she is a healthy Chi! But so many other tiny ones aren't so lucky and they are small because of liver problems, brain problems, intestinal malabsorption problems, chronic hypoglycemia, etc. I would definitely want a clean bill of health and would probably go on and do a bile acid test just to make sure that she doesn't have a liver shunt.

Forewarned is forearmed and I want you to go into this with your eyes open. Hope I didn't offend.

Do you have a current weight on her? She looks soooooooooooooo tiny!!!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have to agree with Brodysmom, She is really adorable but those eye's are saying to me that there is something wrong :-(

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's really cute. Her eyes look kinda funky to me though. Sort of googly if that makes sense! But she's still a doll and I'm sure it's her age. They should strengthen and be more 'forward' looking as she grows, I would think. She doesn't look hydrocephalic to me, but be sure and palpate her molera and hopefully it's not a big huge one. Also, check her vision, those eyes have me a little 'bugged'! :)
Hahaha, yeah, her eyes are a little big..perhaps she will grow into them..but if not..I think they are adorable! Haha..

What is hydrocephalic?? I know about their molera or soft spot, but have never heard of that..

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
No, I am not sure you understand, its not that there big, there are genetic issues or other type's of health problems that could cause her eye's to look like that. If these are pictures of her at 10 weeks then they should already have worked themselves out IMO.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I am not sure you understand, its not that there big, there are genetic issues or other type's of health problems that could cause her eye's to look like that. If these are pictures of her at 10 weeks then they should already have worked themselves out IMO.
Wait, what should have worked out? Sorry, haha.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
We are not trying to scare you but do not want you to get yourself in a situation where you spend a lot of money on this baby and may lose her early or she has some health issue that you will be spending tons of money on her. Just bringing it to your attention so if you really want her then you need to work it out with the breeder where you can take her to your own vet and check her out before getting her. That or give you something written where you have like 48 hrs to get her checked at the vet.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
We're all talking at the same time here. ha ha.

Yoshi's mom is pointing out that a typical 10 week old puppy doesn't have those googly eyes. You sometimes see them on little bitty puppies as their eyes open, but she's old enough now that they should be forward facing. Look closely at her pupils, they don't track together, they are looking opposite ways. That's not normal.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
When they are tiny babies they will change a lot and the eyes can look filmy or be kinda out of whack but they work themselves out. Usually by 10 weeks old they are clear eyed and pretty staight on. I am not the best person to explain this so hopefully someone that knows a bit more can explain soon.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are not trying to scare you but do not want you to get yourself in a situation where you spend a lot of money on this baby and may lose her early or she has some health issue that you will be spending tons of money on her. Just bringing it to your attention so if you really want her then you need to work it out with the breeder where you can take her to your own vet and check her out before getting her. That or give you something written where you have like 48 hrs to get her checked at the vet.
We're all talking at the same time here. ha ha.

Yoshi's mom is pointing out that a typical 10 week old puppy doesn't have those googly eyes. You sometimes see them on little bitty puppies as their eyes open, but she's old enough now that they should be forward facing. Look closely at her pupils, they don't track together, they are looking opposite ways. That's not normal.
Oh no!! Now I am freaking out, but I guess it's good to know about this stuff. Is there a possibility that she is fine and her eyes are just set like that?! There is a health guarantee. I have 3 days to take her to a vet, but wouldn't her vet have already seen something like this? That may be why she is making me wait until she is at least one pound. She told me that with the little ones, you never know if something will happen unexpectedly. Ughhhh..not good.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
It is really according to whether she is a truly reputable breeder or not. Some will tell you anything. Quite frankly she doesnt even look 10 weeks to me but that may be because of the eyes? That is the good thing about these boards is we can help each other out and catch things that someone else may not ;-) I would feel better if I took her to my own vet as you never know what kind of a relationship a vet and breeder can have :-(

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is really according to whether she is a truly reputable breeder or not. Some will tell you anything. Quite frankly she doesnt even look 10 weeks to me but that may be because of the eyes? That is the good thing about these boards is we can help each other out and catch things that someone else may not ;-) I would feel better if I took her to my own vet as you never know what kind of a relationship a vet and breeder can have :-(
Oh man..I am just so bummed right now. I am glad I know, but it is going to eat me up now until I know. I almost feel like she is mine because I have been getting pictures of her and talking to the breeder so much:( What if my vet doesn't see anything?? And how much is a bile acid test because I need to bring this all up to her.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My Macy had cockeyes too. She was 9 weeks old when I got her. Her eyes straightend up at about 4 months. So this babies eyes might do that too. I wouldn't lose any sleep over this eye thing. Have her checked out at the vets. If she can see that's all that mattered to me. Like you said gives her a goofy personality.LOL

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ok tell me what I missed lol!!! I thought you were not going to get her because she wanted 1,800 and you decided to go with the same breeder you got Bella luna from lol! She is SOOOO cute I love her coloring!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Macy had cockeyes too. She was 9 weeks old when I got her. Her eyes straightend up at about 4 months. So this babies eyes might do that too. I wouldn't lose any sleep over this eye thing. Have her checked out at the vets. If she can see that's all that mattered to me. Like you said gives her a goofy personality.LOL
That makes me feel a little better, but her size does worry me. After seeing the pic of her in their hand, I see that she is oober tiny. Bella is a little over 2 lbs and I am not for sure what she looked like at that age, but I am just so worried now. I just don't want to go see her, fall completely in love, and then have something happen to her or realize she has something wrong with her. Ughh, guess I'll take it day by day:(

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
But it isnt always about seeing, there could be other underlying things there. Hopefully a vet would be able to pick up on that though. I hope we are wrong and she turns out to be a beautiful healthy girl. As for the acid bile test, I am not sure what that would cost?

Bkbunny, was Macy's eyes that cockeyed and filmy looking? Just curious as I do see some that are a tad off but never seen them quite that bad that worked themselves out?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Oh yes they looked in complete different directions. You couldn't tell witch way she was looking. I wrote about them when I first joined this forum. But now they are perfectly straight.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok tell me what I missed lol!!! I thought you were not going to get her because she wanted 1,800 and you decided to go with the same breeder you got Bella luna from lol! She is SOOOO cute I love her coloring!
Okay, you missed a lot! Haha..I saw that price advertised for her and I stopped emailing her because I thought that she just raised the price extrememly high AND it said pending, so I figured someone else emailed about her. ANYWAYS, the breeder emailed me a few days later and said that she wanted to meet me and that we could negotiate on the price. She said she has lots of emails, but no one seemed like a good fit because of her size. She said that she would like to meet me and Bella and see if it would be a good fit. I told her straight up that I stopped emailing because I saw her advertised for $1800 and pending. She chuckled and said, "Oh my, I had the pending for you, and the $1800 stopped all the not-serious emails from coming in until you decided what you wanted to do after you talked to your boyfriend." She gave me her number so I could call her and we talked for a while on the phone. She asked me about Bella and talked about "Munchkin"..that's what they call her. She said that she is a very spoiled and active little girl, but are very strict about where she goes because she is so small. SO, I had scheduled to go see her this Sunday, but now I am freaking out that her eyes indicate something bad. Oh boy..this is so much harder than I anticipated.

But it isnt always about seeing, there could be other underlying things there. Hopefully a vet would be able to pick up on that though. I hope we are wrong and she turns out to be a beautiful healthy girl. As for the acid bile test, I am not sure what that would cost?

Bkbunny, was Macy's eyes that cockeyed and filmy looking? Just curious as I do see some that are a tad off but never seen them quite that bad that worked themselves out?
Does anyone know what an acid bile test costs???

I hope she is okay too. I look for Chi's all the time, but something just stuck out about her:(

1 - 20 of 104 Posts