Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks ago, I had to euthanize my 14-year-old pug/Jack Russell mix dog. I rescued him two weeks after I graduated from college, so he had been a constant presence my whole adult life. I don't know what to do with myself without a dog! I also want my daughter, who just turned 2, to grow up with dogs. I am hoping she and the new dog will become buddies as she gets older.

I was guessing that it would be very hard for me to rescue a Chihuahua with a toddler in the house, but I found a rescue that is very open to young children, even with tiny dogs! They regularly get Chihuahua type dogs transported here to Connecticut from other parts of the country where they would be euthanized. This is the guy we met today (he is actually around 7 pounds, I weighed him):
https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/35365989

I am also talking with a show Chihuahua breeder in Mass. who has a 7 pound, 18-month-old dog she is wanting to place because he is way oversize for a show/breeding dog. He is also black and tan, but a long coat, and I am partial to the smooths. He has also never been around kids.

This is my conundrum: do I take a chance on a sturdy-looking dog with an unknown background, or try for a show-bred dog with a skull that I worry is unhealthy? (I can post separately on that issue) The rescue dog was remarkably composed for being in a noisy, strange environment after spending all day in a cage in a moving vehicle. He was even eating! I liked that confidence, and the fact that I am saving a life and opening a place for another dog. I just have no idea if he is crate trained, housebroken, or has separation anxiety, all of which is known with the show dog.

Thanks for reading. I guess I just needed to write it all down to help me think about it, and your feedback is valuable to me too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I would tend toward the rescue. He seems very composed. Would the rescue let you 'try' him for a week or so? That way if he is aggresive then you could return him and let an adult adopt him.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they offered for us to foster him to try him out. The info from wherever he came from said he was good with dogs and kids, which seemed to be true from what I saw today. He did not react to cats behind glass, either.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Perfect dogs don't exist, so it is really a matter of deciding what faults you can live with.
For me being good with kids would be top priority, everything else can be worked on.
If you have to leave him a lot then separation issues may also be a problem.
Go with your gut. If you felt the rescue boy was trustworthy around your little girl, then he is probably a good fit for your family

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the rescue got adopted today. I am pretty upset about it, I think because I don't like to be pressured to make big decisions like that so fast. This rescue's transport operations seem to be about numbers, getting dogs into homes as fast as possible. The dogs are vetted and evaluated in Arkansas, then shipped up here and adopted out so fast the people handling the adoptions can't tell you anything about the dog other than the minimal info on the flier on the dog's cage. I see these southern dogs in good homes all the time, but it hard for me to make a decision based on a picture and two sentences. I don't know how others can do it.

Anyway, I am still in touch with the show breeder, so I have that possibility still, and I can always apply for another dog. Sigh.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to post an update. I completed applications with a couple other rescues yesterday. One has an adoption event on Saturday where they will have a number of Chihuahuas, 4 of which could be promising. The really exciting thing is that it appears that all the dogs at the event on Saturday have been in foster homes for a few weeks getting some basic training and socialization! That means I can actually ask about how that dog does in a home and make sure there are no separation anxiety issues! Assuming they don't reject my application based on having a toddler in the house, I think this organization might be my best bet. Hopefully they can get me pre-approved by then because it is a 45 minute drive, which is no small trip with a 2-year-old!

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Great news!

Things happen for a reason. It has been a hard lesson I have learned recently with loosing Gibbs so unexpectedly and Rosie showing up after months of searching.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am just flabberghasted! This little guy did not get adopted at events over the weekend, and the application I submitted 2 days ago has been approved! He is all of 4 pounds of wonderful!
https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/35410072

Can someone look at his bite in the photos? It looks wry to me, but I am no expert. Would that be an obstacle to feeding raw?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Feeding ground wouldn't be the worst thing, I just want to know before I drive an hour to meet him. I asked the foster about his bite. Hopefully she doesn't think I'm too nuts! I also asked his age and made sure he did well in his crate even when left alone. If he loves my daughter and doesn't have anxiety, I will gladly deal with an off bite! I am so so so excited!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Many tiny dogs don't really have 'room' in their tiny mouths for their tongue. My 4 pound chi, is one of these. Her little tongue is out much of the time. Sometimes if a dog has lost some teeth, the tongue manages to stick out?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That could be too. The fact that just one lower canine shows is what really made me wonder. I didn't even notice the tongue at first!

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
It could be anything and he will let you know what he can handle food wise. Raw can be grounded but he might enjoy and benefit from regular. You never know. Now one thing to think about is if he needs dental surgery down the road and the cost.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
When we first got Mouse she had an obviously overshot jaw. After a couple of months on raw (mostly large pieces, because they had filthy teeth when they arrived) we noticed that her jaw muscles had been built up and her bite was much better. It isn't quite perfect, but it is a huge improvement.
So don't assume he won't be able to eat raw, raw may actually be the key to strengthening his jaw and improving his bite

1 - 20 of 37 Posts