Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok friends, talk me down! I have not heard back from Chester's foster mom in over 24 hours and I am kind of freaking out! I could hardly sleep last night I was so excited to meet this little guy, and I felt bad about asking so many questions in my initial email reply (ok, replies). I just sent a message that clarifies the single issue that could be a dealbreaker and left my cell number. I hope to meet him in less than 48 hours, so I want to hear from her! Eeek!

On a good note, I got a phone interview from the rescue doing the event on Saturday, and I have been pre-approved!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So Chester, the 4 pound Chi/poodle I have been freaking out about, has an underbite and some missing teeth. She did not give me an estimated age. He has some separation anxiety (barks in his crate), and I asked for more information about it. He is being treated for kennel cough, so will not ready to go to his new home until next week sometime. If he barks the whole time they are gone, I think I will have to pass. :-(

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Please do not ignore this pup. He may be older, but separation anxiety CAN be treated. Some dogs take medication, and some just a little love and training.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If it is not already severe, I will go see him. I really don't know how old he is, other than an adult. I am open to up to 5 years old because I want the dog to live long enough for my daughter (just turned 2) to grow up with it. I just can't go through a decade of that stress with a dog again.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Are they sure the barking/coughing is separation anxiety? Could it be he is in QT for kennel cough?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Chester does not seem to be in quarantine. He was at adoption events all last weekend and has interacted with the four other dogs in his foster home, so I assume he is past being contagious. He has a vet check where he should be cleared next week.

Yes, I am all set to see the other dogs tomorrow too. Chester's foster mom is pretty slow to reply to emails (which I am trying not to be frustrated about!), so I may end up seeing him after them if I don't bring one home tomorrow..

With Chester, it is becoming the combination of the bad mouth (he has teeth that jut forward on top of the underbite and missing teeth) and anxiety that have made me not as excited about him. I need a fit, happy dog to go on adventures with my daughter as she gets older, not a delicate, worried dog that has to stay protected. Know what I mean?

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Fully understand! Find the right fit for your family.

Any details on other Chis?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Very few, unfortunately. Will put links to their pages below. Anyone have a guess on Mickey's age? It says puppy, but no more details. Pebbles does not have age listed either. I won't know until I get there if they have been in foster homes up here or if they will be fresh off a transport from Georgia (they are here by now, and they give them the night to rest). If they are fresh transports, I will at least be able to talk to the people who brought them up, and they may have been fostered before transport.

Daffy: http://www.adoptapet.com/pet/15710378-old-saybrook-connecticut-chihuahua-mix
Mickey: http://www.adoptapet.com/pet/15719707-old-saybrook-connecticut-chihuahua-mix
Molly: http://www.adoptapet.com/pet/15700549-old-saybrook-connecticut-chihuahua-mix
Pebbles: http://www.adoptapet.com/pet/15719378-old-saybrook-connecticut-chihuahua-mix

There are more Chihuahuas, but these look the most promising.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Super cute! They are all adorable! Just see which one falls for your daughter then you will know right away

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That is what I was thinking too! I want the dog to love her more than anything else!

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
With Rosie we went with the one that loved Scarlett the most. It was between her and her sister. I have never seen Scarlett so happy and Rosie is a perfect fit! We joke around that Scarlett picked out her puppy.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That is so great! Glad it is working out so well for you!

I finally heard back from Chester's foster mom, and I will not be meeting him tonight. I wish she had told me she had to work tonight when I asked about tonight on Tuesday! So frustrating. He will be at an event tomorrow, but not the one I am going to, so we will see. Honestly, when I heard he barks in the crate, I lost almost all desire for him, especially when I thought if his dental issues and tiny size. Now I hope to find a match tomorrow, when I should hopefully have a few to choose from. Unless, of course, somebody else knows they want one of the ones I am interested in, in which case....aargh!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I got a dog today! The adoption event was crazy and competitive, but I got a tiny little tri male smooth. He is an older puppy, and he and My daughter pretty much loved each other at first sight! I snapped him up before anyone else could and now he is trying to sleep in my lap.

He does have a bit of gunk in his eyes and a mild cough. Do you think I can wait till Monday to get him to the Vet? I barely have the motivation to think about getting supplies later, and my regular vet is closed until Monday. I have chronic fatigue and today took so much out of me.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Clean the debris from his eyes. Is the debris clear or yellow? Is he bringing up anything when he coughs? IF he is got clear debris in his eyes, and is not coughing up yellow stuff, and he is eating and pooping normally he probably could wait until Monday.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
He is not coughing anything up. I will check the eye gunk color. Try to keep him from eating, LOL! His poos have been frequent and loose, but formed. He was eating Pedigree, so I am cold switching him to a canned chicken and rice (Canidae) that I have found works wonders in the past. The rate of pooping seems to be slowing down now.

Edit: the only discharge I could find just now was dried, and appears clear.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts