Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, excuse the life story but....

When I first got Fiddle I would crate her at night, and every night, she would go 1 and 2 in her crate even if I woke up to take her to "the spot" to go toilet.

Over night:
So after about 3 weeks I started to leave the crate open and had a puppy pad right next to it and it worked for her peeing, she still sort of wanders off to poo, but she knows that places like the bed are a big no no.

During the day:
Fiddle was originally kept in one section of the house, but after alot of mistakes, I bought her a play pen (and moved her to a different room) and she has been in that for a while now and goes in the correct spot.

For a while this was ok, but my dad doesnt like her being cooped up in a pen the whole day and doesnt like her 'going' in my room.

So, can I retrain her? or will this just be super dooper confusing? Like, If I put her in the crate at night, will she hold it? or no, because she never learnt to?

Also, what about during the day? Today I didnt put her in the pen, i put her in the section of the house, to see if she still goes on the pad. But i think she wont..... :(

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I am currently retraining Honey and she is 4!!! She only got introduced to a pen a few weeks ago. In her pen I have water bed toilet. When I cant watch her she is always in her pen. Except when she is out side. I never let her roam the house unless I am watching her. She has not had one single accident. In her pen or in the house. I am also finding that she goes to the front door now if she is out of her pen to tell me she wants to go to the toilet. I dont think its ever to late to go back to basics :)
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
also I forgot to add, that before I started to retrain her a few weeks ago she would just go to the toilet where ever she liked! I got her as an adult 15 months ago. And I dont think she was ever house trained.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am currently retraining Honey and she is 4!!! She only got introduced to a pen a few weeks ago. In her pen I have water bed toilet. When I cant watch her she is always in her pen. Except when she is out side. I never let her roam the house unless I am watching her. She has not had one single accident. In her pen or in the house. I am also finding that she goes to the front door now if she is out of her pen to tell me she wants to go to the toilet. I dont think its ever to late to go back to basics :)
Good luck!!!
Thats good! Im glad someone else is re training, Im just worried because im training her something different. But she should get it right?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also I forgot to add, that before I started to retrain her a few weeks ago she would just go to the toilet where ever she liked! I got her as an adult 15 months ago. And I dont think she was ever house trained.
Ahhh thats very good then! for a dog that had no training before!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Ahhh thats very good then! for a dog that had no training before!
I asked a breeder a few weeks ago at a dog show, if it were possible and she said YES! so I thought ok lets go back to basics. And Honey just took to it. for the past 15 months I was just constantly cleaning up after her. The breeder just said treat her like you would treat a puppy being trained and she will respond. Well she was 100% right :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just bumping this, as I need alot of help

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Oh yea honey, re-training is completely possible. I work a lot in rescue and have taken on pups as old as eight and as young as 8 weeks old. You simply treat them as a pup and do all the things you would do normally. My eight year old rescue, Fiona will now go potty outside and she had never in eight years gone outside to go potty. My Coco, who I got as a year, would simply not ever go inside and she will now do potty pads in the winter. I will say, and I have five chihuahua's, that they prefer to go outside because of the natural smells and all that but they can be retrained. Hard as it is, confining them to a small space helps the process along a lot and as soon as they start responding well to it, a bit more freedom can be allowed. Stay strong and know that in time, they truly want to please and "will" catch on.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yea honey, re-training is completely possible. I work a lot in rescue and have taken on pups as old as eight and as young as 8 weeks old. You simply treat them as a pup and do all the things you would do normally. My eight year old rescue, Fiona will now go potty outside and she had never in eight years gone outside to go potty. My Coco, who I got as a year, would simply not ever go inside and she will now do potty pads in the winter. I will say, and I have five chihuahua's, that they prefer to go outside because of the natural smells and all that but they can be retrained. Hard as it is, confining them to a small space helps the process along a lot and as soon as they start responding well to it, a bit more freedom can be allowed. Stay strong and know that in time, they truly want to please and "will" catch on.
Woah sounds like u run a tight ship!

What do u think i should do during the day? I go home at lunch, so should i crate her then when i come home at lunch and in the arvo take her to the 'spot' (we dont have grass in our back yard so the spot is inside)

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
YES. Tough love is hard but I swear they want and need it. They really do want to do the right thing. And praise, and praise, and praise. My newest was so stubborn that I had to move the potty pad to her fav place to go but she is starting to "get" it. Don't feel bad. Some confinement now will make for many happy years in your future with them.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YES. Tough love is hard but I swear they want and need it. They really do want to do the right thing. And praise, and praise, and praise. My newest was so stubborn that I had to move the potty pad to her fav place to go but she is starting to "get" it. Don't feel bad. Some confinement now will make for many happy years in your future with them.
Lol I dont mind a little tought lovin! Fiddle is getting spayed tomo so I wont feel as bad confining her.

But what do I do if she goes in her crate? (which she originally did)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts