Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody knows about tumors or hernias in chi's. She is 12 weeks old and has a lump the size of a quarter in her groin area. Snickers won't even lay flat on her stomach and if she does she starts crying really loud. We are going to take her to the vet as soon as we can get an appt. Also the lump is very hard. Any info anybody has would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I agree with Rachel - hopefully it is nothing to worry about but hernias especially umbeliacal ones can be extremely painful - please ensure you take her to the vet immediately as it is not fair too leave her in pain :wave: good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have liked to have taken her today. We live on a military base and the small town outside the base doesn't have any clinics that have emergency services. But I am definatley taking her tomorrow as soon as the vet opens

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
sounds like an umbilical hernia. some go away on their own, some need surgery to fic and others can be corrected by a belly band....... keep us posted! and do get your baby to the vet soon. i had 2 umbilical hernia repairs and i'm not sure about dogs but in humans they hurt!!!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
If it is hard and the size of a quarter, it's likely not a herniation. If it's an inguinal herniation (near the groin) or an umbilical herniation (where the umbilicus was removed) usually you can press it and it will recede, and should not be that painful (although occasionally with inguinal hernias are slightly painful if swollen) and usually smaller than a dime on a chihuahua.

If it is a herniation and it's hard and painful, that's bad news and I would have her seen as soon as possible.

At 12 weeks a tumor is unlikely, I might consider protruding intussusception or something else, I wish I could help you more, it's hard without seeing.

Good luck! -Nate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts