Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi we have just got back from 2 lovely weeks in Florida and our 2 chi's were in kennels, Sam has come back full of life and is straight back to normal happy and healthy but Dylan is not himself at all. He won't play, he eats his food but drops bigger treats or spends ages working on them, he really won't tolerate sam as soon as he approaches Dylan to play Dylan yelps even when he's barely touched where as before they were inseparable. I spoke to our vets and they suggested waiting as long as he is eating and think he might have sore teeth or mouth but i hate to see him out of sorts. Anyone else had trouble after a stay in kennels?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The only trouble i have had after putting my dogs in kennels is them losing weight because they refused to eat in the kennel and that when they come home they seem sort of upset with you for leaving them in kennels but it normally wears off in a few days once you give them lots of kisses, cuddles & treats!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I've always been nervous to leave mine in kennels b'c I dunno if they'd be happy or not when I came back, but it's getting harder and harder to find someone to watch 4 dogs or even be able to split the pack up into groups of 2!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'd check his mouth to make sure he doesn't have a broken tooth, inflamed gums, etc. that's causing the discomfort when eating. This isn't normal when coming home from boarding so if it hasn't resolved within 36 hours of returning home, I'd have him checked. Did you ask the kennel if they got into a tussel while there or if he was on the chainlink or cage door trying to get out? Dogs have been known to break teeth that way.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'd check his mouth to make sure he doesn't have a broken tooth, inflamed gums, etc. that's causing the discomfort when eating. This isn't normal when coming home from boarding so if it hasn't resolved within 36 hours of returning home, I'd have him checked. Did you ask the kennel if they got into a tussel while there or if he was on the chainlink or cage door trying to get out? Dogs have been known to break teeth that way.
This is too true. We just had a bichon in our clinic that broke some nails on his front paws trying to dig out of the kennel. Dogs sometimes hurt themselves trying to escape the kennels or act our in anxiety while they are there.

When I got Elliot out of boarding once she had kennel cough, and was a little bit lethargic. The vet said it would resolve itself within a week and if it didn't to bring her back for antibiotics.

Another thing I always request when I board my babies :)( I have to put them in boarding tonight and tomorrow) is to have them boarded in the same kennel in the cat room. It is much quieter in there and you will have greatly reduced your risk of the pups catching kennel cough when they come home. Then they have each other and a quieter/less stressful environment.

If your pup isn't back to normal within the next day or so, do bring him back in to the vet!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys i've booked him in with the vets today, he's showing a little interest in toys which is an improvement but i want to get his mouth and teeth checked as he is still not his playful self. I'm wondering if he was chewing and has hurt his mouth, will find out!

We had to get both ours vaccinated against kennel cough before they were allowed in the kennels so a sure it's not that, and they were next to other chi's they seemed to be ok when we picked them up and owners didn't mention anything had happenned. Any way vets at 10:40 I just want him back to normal!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts