Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Eva gave birth in December, and she has been shedding rediculously. I was told that bitches "blow their coat" after having a litter, (sort of like women do) but it just keeps going on and on much longer and much more hair loss than I expected. When I bathed her yesterday I could see so much skin when I was lathering her fur. Her tail has lost all it's plume and she looks thinner than my smooth coat now!

Can anyone who has been through this before with a bitch tell me how long she is likely to go on shedding in thios extreme way for? She will be balding if she carries on like this???!!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Aww, poor Eva! I don't have any experience with this (yet) but I've head/read that bitches coats can become quite ridiculously thin/short after they have a litter of pups. So far Mari hasn't lost any coat but I'm sure it'll come as she always blows her coat with her cycle anyway which would put her this month to start thinning.

I don't have any info on how much "worse" it can get. But with her in a new home part of the issue may be stress as well? It's probably a more "wait & see" type of thing...even though I know you're probably just anxious for it to stop & for her coat to become nice & full again! It always irks me when Mari looses her coat because she looks so pretty with it nice & full but horrible with it "blown". :lol:

Hopefully Eva will stop loosing it soon & will start to regrow just as soon!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah it's not just looks wise, but it is still frosty here and I don't want her to freeze every time she goes out for a wee :( Poor baby. I make sure she gets extra cuddles to keep warm ;)

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I find they end up looking like a smooth coat and thin looking although they aren't thin they just look thinner cause of there coat loss!!

It will come back soon though maybe by the summer!!

I am dreading my two loosing there coats after they have there pups cause i find there coat grows beautifully when they are in whelp!!

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
bianca had her litter last september, and her coat is only coming back now. she lost most of her tail and she did look like a short coat, funny because i only noticed yesterday how thick its getting again plus she was spayed a few weeks ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts