Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya everyone, hoping you can help.

My little 5 month old chi Belle is being spayed next Monday & I was hoping you could give me some tips on care?

I've got the week off work to stay with her. We've another chi (6 month old male) Buddy who I believe will need to be kept away from her to stop him biting at the stitches.

Do I need to keep her near me at night, or would she be alright downstairs in a separate room from Buddy? Will she be able to walk upstairs if she's got a cone on? How long does the cone normally have to stay on for? Any insight on what she's likely to be like next week will help - off her food, grumpy etc?

Will be asking these questions to the vets on Monday but I want to be mentally prepared!

Many thanks
Rach

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Hi,
my Latte just got spayed on Wednesday. She cant even reach her stitches to bother them. i was happy that i didnt have to put a cone on her.
You just have to observe to see if she is bothering them. Its great to have the cone just in case she is. i didnt have to keep my other 3 dogs away from her either, they didnt bother her. but you have to observe and see how it goes. if he bothers her, then seperate them. Actually, my dogs are all adult dogs, not puppies, so maybe them both being puppies and how playful puppies are , it would be better to seperate them.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hi Rach, firstly, if it was me, I'd cancel the appointment and leave it a while longer, a couple of months or so at least, in order that her adult teeth will have come through and if she's going to retain any baby teeth the vet can pull them whilst she's under anaesthesia, saves her having to be put under a second time down the track. In the meantime have her chew on raw bones, bully sticks and anything else she'll chew every single day for as long as she wants to.

In case you're not aware, Chi's have a real problem with retaining their baby teeth and this creates all sorts of dramas. Three out of my 4 babies all had retained baby teeth pulled and I fully expect the new girl to follow suit when I have her spayed. My tiny boy who had, I think x 4 teeth removed, is now about 10 months old, looks like he's got a whole heap more that are going to need pulling because it looks like he's got double rows everywhere - it's ugly, unhealthy and dangerous (bacteria in between & from abscesses under them getting into the bloodstream & organs which will shorten life or possibly even cause death).

Best to do a lot of research so you can decide what course is best for you & your baby.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Elaina :) I'm getting nervous for her now.

AussieLass: I'd look into this if only I could have it off work - If I don't have next week, I can't have any hols until next year - seeing as we have Buddy we need to get her done sooner rather than later. The vets I go to were highly recommended to me by many people so I'm surprised they haven't mentioned this seeing as though it's a common Chi problem. I emailed a month ago (give or take) & at the time they said they had an opening that week, but I couldn't make it - so they would have done her even earlier.

Both Belle and Buddy are always chewing something.

I'm worried now :-| I've emailed the Vets to ask their thoughts on this. I could even speak to a family member to see if they'd be available to Chi-sit if I rearrange it.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention! I do my fair share of Chi research (most recently...dog food) but there's always something new to learn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts