Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bella had surgery at 9 this morning and came home after a little more than an hr. She was awake. I have her in her crate with a blanket covering it now. We have 3 other dogs. Should I keep her in the crate for a few days? Should she be awake and ok by this afternoon?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would see how she goes, maybe be a good idea to let her sleep in her crate overnight but if your around in the day she should be ok to carry on as normal, just no jumping or licking!!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Just make sure she's where you can monitor her closely. I'm actually a bit surprised they let her go that quickly. My vet won't release the pet after they've been anesthetized till they've woken up enough to be able to walk around, and also till they've peed. I drop them off between 7.30 and 8.30, they call me when they're done to tell me how it went (typically around 11.00 or 12.00), and then call me again when it's OK to pick them up, but that's never been before 4.30.

Please watch her closely. You don't want her going after her stitches. She won't be able to control her bladder or possibly her bowels very easily, and I'd hate for her to be laying in her own pee or poop. She may throw up (Tango does, after he's been put under) and there's a danger she could aspirate her vomit. She needs to be were you can see/hear what she's doing so you can be on top of any issue that may arise.

Just so we're clear, I don't mean to alarm you or sound negative, but the things I mentioned are very real possibilities with ANY dog after surgery, and given the comparative fragility of chihuahuas it pays to be cautious.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Definitely keep her away from the other dogs to prevent rough-housing, licking, etc. My Annie just went through a spay, but it was amazing how quickly they recover now.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
My Kizzie just got spayed on the 10th and I crated her for two days. Mostly during the day even though I was right there next to her, she was very hyper after her spaying and wanted to jump all around. So just be careful! I would definitely monitor her with the other dogs if you think they will be ok together. I know the vets say to keep the dogs away from one another but my girls are best friends and Shayley babied Kizzie after spaying so I couldn't keep her away but other dogs might be more playful and not understand she needs to rest! Good luck with her recovery hon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts