Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We had Peanut at the vets tonight as she's been chewing her feet constantly recently. The vet thinks it's an allergy and said first thing we need to do is change her food to one that contains a different protein. We have always fed Peanut Orijen since she was a puppy, she's 19 months now and eats Orijen adult and this contain chicken, turkey, eggs and fish so we need to find a new food that has red meat as the protein content.

Can anyone recommend any other kibble foods to us? We have to feed this new food exclusively for 6 weeks (no treats etc!) to see if the itching stops. The foods the vet recommended were:-

WAFCOL
ROYAL CANINE
JAMES WELBELOVED
BURNS

She also said there are some foods aimed specifically for chihuahuas. I am going to check online for these too as our local petshops didn't stock any like this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian & Michelle.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I know it is exspensive but can they do a food allergy test? I had one on my cat and he is allergic to more than I ever thought he could be.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They are going to do allergy tests in 6 weeks time if the food change doesn't help. But from what I recall she didn't mention food allergy tests. It was more tests for things like pollen or house mites for example.

Just checked with Michelle and the vet did mention food allergy tests but she said the results are hit and miss and therefore not conclusive :confused: so she didn't recommend them.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Don't know those brands besides Royal Canin. Are they grain free - I would avoid grain food for my dogs at all costs, especially when allergies are suspected.

Can you get ZiwiPeak in Scotland, even via Mail Order? If you've ever considered a raw diet, now may just be the perfect time to give it a go?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I had the allergy tests done!! BIG WASTE of MONEY!! These tests are NOT accurate!! The allergies he is experiencing could be environmental or food! There's no quick answer. You have to find out by system of elimination! If he's been eating the Orijen all this time without problems, I would tend to believe it's environmental. That's not to say they can't develop an allergy to a food they've been eating, but not always. If you take him for walks in the grass, try wiping him down with a baby wipe or wash cloth when you get home. If he's really miserable, you can give Benedryl to help ease him.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
My holistic vet did allergy test. I thought it was environmental but it was all food based. I will post the details lab etc as everything is on my desk at work. His test was right in the money. I assumed he was allergic to one ir two things but the list is huge and since I removed all of them he has been better.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
James Wellbeloved is a good brand, and they do a grain-free kibble. No artificial anything in it, it was what I used before we switched to raw. You will probably have to order it in though, I couldn't find anywhere that stocked it, just the regular varieties with rice.
Harley has an allergy, we still haven't found out what is causing it. He gets bathed in medicated shampoo (Malaseb) which helps, his seems to come and go.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I can't remember for the life of me where I learned this--maybe on this forum, maybe somewhere else--I have really studied since Lulu has been itching so much lately, but I thought I learned that if Benadryl did not work then it is a food allergy because it doesn't help with food alergies. Has anyone else heard of this or am I dreaming it?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hgi so sorry about the allergy id change the food soon as possible and good luck let us know which food works thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If he's been eating the Orijen all this time without problems, I would tend to believe it's environmental.
I said same thing and vet said most allergies develop between 18 months and 6 years old. Peanut is 19 months now so kinda fits with the timescale. I really liked Orijen as well as she seemed to be doing so well on it.

What do you think of these foods?

Royal Canin Chihuahuas 15Kg Royal Canin Breed Specific for Sale
ZiwiPeak Daily Dog Cuisine Pouch 1kg Complete Dry Adult Dog Food for Sale

Thanks for the replies!

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
My cat, Chihuly aka Huly's test info:

We did the test because Huly has sinus issues and is FHV-1 positive so when the vet stated she wanted to do an allergy test I thought it would be enviromental but it was all food based. It was around $250.00 but I can say these results are pretty much right on with its results. I assumed he was allergic to Salmon as when he ate anything Salmon with in 48 hours he puked. Since I have received the results and removed all items listed I have noticed a HUGE difference in his health.

Here is the info from Huly's test: I am scanning the entire book as photos as some of this info might help others.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I was hoping it might give you some insight and it does have helpful allergy tips for all kids of allergies

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am still not 100% convinced it's food based but will try one of the above mentioned foods depending on what you all recommend and see how it goes. I know alot of dogs have problems this time of the year with pollen and/or grass mites so I assumed it was this. Definately didn't expect to be told to change her food.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I said same thing and vet said most allergies develop between 18 months and 6 years old. Peanut is 19 months now so kinda fits with the timescale. I really liked Orijen as well as she seemed to be doing so well on it.

What do you think of these foods?

Royal Canin Chihuahuas 15Kg Royal Canin Breed Specific for Sale
ZiwiPeak Daily Dog Cuisine Pouch 1kg Complete Dry Adult Dog Food for Sale

Thanks for the replies!
I was told they develop allergies usually around 3 years old, which is when my chi started hers. It's so frustrating cause theirs so many different theories/opinions. Hope you find some comfort for your baby soon.

BTW:: Ziwipeak is one of the best dog foods I could have ever put my chi on! I've seen fantastic improvement in her health!!!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I was hoping it might give you some insight and it does have helpful allergy tips for all kids of allergies
Have you tried giving any of the foods that your dogs allergic to to see if he has a reaction. Like a small piece, just to verify these tests are accurate. I had the same test done & hers said she was allergic to everything food & environmental. Turkey & beef were on the lists and I've given her beef since the test with no reaction. Grass & fleas were on the lists & I'm pretty sure she is definitely allergic to them, but many dogs are. The reason I ask is because if I had believed the test were accurate, my dog wouldn't be able to enjoy much variety in her food, so I needed to find out for sure. Although she still suffers from allergies, I'm about 95% positive that it is not food related; it's all environmental related. I live in TN, & over 90% of the residents suffer from allergies because of our environment!! There is always something blooming here. The sad part is that we're an outdoors-type of people, so we tend to suffer more, but we love playing outside!! Lol.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Don't know those brands besides Royal Canin. Are they grain free - I would avoid grain food for my dogs at all costs, especially when allergies are suspected.

Can you get ZiwiPeak in Scotland, even via Mail Order? If you've ever considered a raw diet, now may just be the perfect time to give it a go?
all they brands are grain FULL rubbish UK brands! :p

1 - 20 of 37 Posts