Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I just brought home my first chihuahua puppy the other day and I'm sort of stressed about the potty training piece. I live in New England and it's cold so the one time I took him outside he just stood in one place and shivered...no luck with the pottying outside. As I've read on here, it seems papers are easier for them especially when it's cold outside.

My problem is that he poops in his crate (tiny crate for dogs up to 6 pounds so it's not too big) and also wont go on the paper (either pee or poop). In fact he seems to avoid it. Fortunately i have lots of hard wood and tile floors so I'm just doing more laundry of area rugs and his crate bedding! I can tell when he has to go as he runs all over looking and starts circling so I can tell and when I try to put him on the pad he runs off. Do I yell at him when he's going in the wrong place? he has not yet gone on the pad at all so I have not had the opportunity to praise him for going on the pad...I guess I want to do this right and I feel like nothing good is happening. Thanks for any advice.

Max is 13 weeks old so I would think he's at the age when he should be able to handle it, right?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If he's peeing on the area rug, then to start out put the pee pad on the rug. Or rub the pee pad against a pee spot, to get the smell on the pee pad, and see if that doesn't entice him.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I use a pen with a tiny crate in it. The puppy usually will not go IN the crate, and has no choice but to use the paper/pee pad. Sue

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I had a hard time puppy training my dog too. She still isn't 100% trained but it's much better than it was. I did as you're doing and asked around on the forums. The best advice I got was to give her only one option for a spot to pee. I had been laying pee pads all over the house, which ended up being too many choices for her. I purchased a UGODOG and put it in our guest bathroom. She took to it pretty well. Anytime she had an accident, I would pick her up, say "No", and put her on the UGODOG in the bathroom. Also, when we are leaving the house, we leave her in the guest bathroom. It has her bathroom area and also a comfortable place where she is able to relax. She is able to relieve herself in the proper place. This would be the same as crate training, IMO, with a little more space. This method has seemed to work well for us. It took and is still taking a lot of discipline for me to watch her constantly. It is tiresome, but she is really learning. I'm sure you will have good luck with training if you're consistent.

If she/he does have an accident, don't spank! Calmy say a firm "No" and put her on the place you want her to potty. I like peepads because I don't want to be outside in the cold any more than she does so an indoor potty works very well for us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts