Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had success or failures with potty grass systems? What does your Chi use as indoor potty system?

I have one chi now uses indoor and out and I am bringing a puppy home soon and i think Im going to be going threw pee pads like crazyand wondered what people used as a indoor pee place.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
We have a 5x7 potty grass with a little fence around it and it work perfect! We tried smaller ones but she needs to sniff and stuff lol!

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
You will get very mixed reviews. Personally, I hate the potty grass systems. I find that even if washed thoroughly with soap and water, they still smell. You have to be super diligent about cleaning them too. With two dogs using it, I imagine it would need to be washed twice the amount that they suggest. Also, if you don't have a yard, washing one probably consists of using your shower, which is kind of gross and a pain in the butt because then you have to also clean your shower. It gets pretty tedious washing it everyday. I really wish they could invent something better, because they are convenient and less wasteful than pee pads, and our dog LOVED hers. We originally bought it because we were boating for 2 weeks and it was a huge hit! Easier on the ocean, because you can just dip it in the water!

I've heard of people having success with the ugodog system though. If you live in a large city, there might even be a real grass potty system, where they deliver grass to you weekly. Would be good on a patio, but maybe not something you'd want inside the house.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I swore by the grass patches for a while until I had to go through a winter with them. where I couldn't hose them off regularly.... so we are now switched to just washable potty pads and I prefer them. Mine only use them as a backup; and primarily go outside; so I can see instantly when one is used and swap it out with a new one, and throw the dirty one in the wash.

The biggest misconception I think people seem to have about the grass patches, is that they assume "Oh it looks like grass! My dog will know to use it!" There is a huge difference between soft grass and plastic; they can very well tell the difference; and a dog has to be TRAINED to use them just like they would have to be trained to go outside, or on pads, etc. Personally, potty training is second nature to me so I don't think about it; as I have fosters here often who aren't used to the ropes. But you still have to be very diligent about making sure the OWNER puts in the effort to constantly supervise their dog; if you want to eventually be able to trust the dog to use the patch/potty/etc. =) So, it's certainly not difficult to do; just takes a lot of diligence..... the only reason I eventually switched was I didn't like having to clean them indoors in the winter. Machine washable pads are a lifesaver!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
We used to use one... and we liked it overall. It takes some time for them to get used to it, but they did. We stopped using them because no matter how much we washed it with soap and water, it smelled. The smell was just too much!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Ours is at the end of our deck. It's a long deck tho. We use the hose and rinse it every night plus pick up poo as it happens with a little shovel. I wouldn't have it any other way. When I use to take Bailey in the regular yard, all she would do is sniff around and not do her business.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
FWIW- the only thing that helped take the smell out was dish detergent. I kept an old short-bristled broom outside that I'd use a few times a week to just scrub it with dish soap; and then hose off. When they were still damp, I used Dollar Tree's $1 enzymatic urine remover... spritz it over the grass and hang it over the fence, and just prop up the tray pieces. But, all that said; it's a PITA during winter... LOL... but figured that might help some in the future who look into it!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm interested in this thread as well to hear the pros and con's of grass patches I use puppy pads right now and I hate them I have a couple of large birds and one of. Them likes to fly and every time she flys the puppy pad goes flying from the wind from her wings. Its a real pain in the neck.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm interested in this thread as well to hear the pros and con's of grass patches I use puppy pads right now and I hate them I have a couple of large birds and one of. Them likes to fly and every time she flys the puppy pad goes flying from the wind from her wings. Its a real pain in the neck.

A tray would help that. Chloe has one and I swear by them now. It seems cleaner to me too even though I know the pads don't soak through.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have not tried the potty grass system at all. I use pee pads and they also potty out in my yard when I'm home to let them out. Being so tiny they pee so often that I still like having the pee pad down even if I'm home. I go through about a pad a day. They are 22"X22" in size.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I never did get Reggie to use the pretend grass. He was not even a little curious or interested in it. He most of the time goes outside, but he still finds the need to leave a tootsie roll (his poop reminds me of a tootsie roll) now and again. He also likes to leave tootsie rolls when we visit. Not sure why or how to break him other than catching him in the act. I have to watch him like a hawk when we visit.

Wish I had thought about washable pads - what a great idea!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use and love Simple Solutions puppy pads, they work great for my dog! I wouldn't recommend substituting with newspaper because the pee pads are scented to entice the dog, but aside from that they will then find any paper on the floor acceptable pee material.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ive heard the potty grass does retain alot of smell and has to be washed regularly. Do you think the potty grass could last going threw the washer? i have also seen on some website of people in apartment building a big box of actual live grass growing on there balcony and the dog goes there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts