Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I have had Pepe for about a week now (He's 11 weeks) He is eating Science Diet Puppy food mini. I free feed him, though he doesn't really eat lots, but he must poop like 9 or 10 times a day. Is this normal? The stools are a good consistency, not loose. Could it be the food that he is eating? He only weighs 1.3 lbs. Thank goodness he get the concept of the litter box, or there would be surprises everywhere. Any suggestions?? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i think it's the free feeding, and he must have a really good digestive track. if he eats a little he'll poop soon after even if it is a few bites. chiwi does that a lot too and i feed her royal canin mini puppy and i free feed as well. i don't see a problem, i think its good. especially if the poops are firm cause they express their anals when the poop and if they go alot then you may not have to worry about getting that done.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It's definately the free feeding. Puppies have very fast metabolism, and the more you feed, the more they will poop. It may be a good idea to get your dog on a regular schedule of 3 small meals a day so the poop is predictable and you can monitor exactly how much your chi eats and know if it needs more or less. Free feeding can be dangerous on both ends, overfeeding can be overlooked, and loss of appetite can also be unobserved. Granted, Sadie and Ritz are both free-fed but we monitor their appetites and amount of food that goes into the bowl each day closely. As a puppy, I would have rather fed them regular meals.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Zeus initially was on Science Diet small bites when we first got him, and I switched foods because he continually pooped. Now at 1.5 years old, he's on Natural Balance, and goes 2-3 times a day.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Sorry i guess I don't know what is normal. Auggie poops twice in the morning on his long walk but he is a year and 4 months old. He actually hates to poop any other time and rarely does. I think he needs a dog poop theraphyst :lol:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Auggies Mom said:
Sorry i guess I don't know what is normal. Auggie poops twice in the morning on his long walk but he is a year and 4 months old. He actually hates to poop any other time and rarely does. I think he needs a dog poop theraphyst :lol:
Auggies mom, that is hilarious. :lol:

I leave kibbles down for Jasmine all the time, but I do monitor how much she eats, and she also gets canned food in the morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts