Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, we have been so dry here! No rain whatsoever since I brought my brood of 4 chi's home!! Now we are about to get drenched. Any advice about getting them to go out in the rain. My don't do any inside pads/boxes...totally outside pottiers. I hate to think all my training the last 2 months has been in vein now...ugh! They are so good, but being pups (6 & 7 months) they are not going to hold it I know. Oh please someone have a suggestion!!!:pottytrain5::confused:

·
Registered
355 Posts
You can stand out with them under an umbrella, speaking cheerfully and encouraging them...eventually they will figure out that, even though they are sooooo sweet, they're not made of sugar and they won't dissolve! My Dary was a big baby when it came to the rain; he had a yellow slicker that made him look like a big, forlorn Gorton's fisherman!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I agree with widogmom you can do that.Or just tell them to go potty and Open the door or take them out or what ever you do and hope they go lol.Ours hate the rain but we can let ours out without leashes so we just keep telling them to go potty.I can sometimes say go potty NOW! and they will go they don't like it but they go.I have two that could care less what it is doing lol they will just walk around out like there is nothing coming from the sky.Then we have one that if you don't watch him he will pee on the steps and come back in lol.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Well, they must go outside to potty, end of story. So, I agree with the above suggestions. You can stand out there with an umbrella, which may or may not help. But, it's worth a shot! Also, just make them stay out there until they go. If you know their routines for going potty, or you know it's been a while since they went, just make them stay out there until they go. They have no choice. You can encourage them and what not. But in the end, you're the boss! :) If they give you that sad look and you give in and let them in, they're going to do that every time, because they know you'll just give in! If they have to go, they're going to go! :) They'll get used to the rain too. Soon, it won't be as big of a deal.

Roxy used to HATE the rain. But, I did all of what I just told you, and now she could care less! She makes sure she goes potty quickly if it's raining out, but she'll still go with no problems. I know it depends on the dog, so yours may or may not adjust as quickly as Roxy, but just keep it up! :) I also started saying "Go potty girl!" And she knows what that means when we're outside now. I could probably say it and she'd go on command, lol! :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
My deceased Pom used to pretend to pee just to get back in, I knew she didn't so I said go potty no potty no cookie so she would squat again pretending, she stayed out until I seen her really go. she even pretended to have to go out and fake it just for cookies. (Treats)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
My deceased Pom used to pretend to pee just to get back in, I knew she didn't so I said go potty no potty no cookie so she would squat again pretending, she stayed out until I seen her really go. she even pretended to have to go out and fake it just for cookies. (Treats)
Oh my gosh that is so hysterical!! what a smart one she was :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi my buster will do his buisness if im go with him with umbrella and i stand under my large oak tree good shelter then he runs in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts