Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My baby is 11 weeks old and I was wondering if it would be too confusing to teach him how to be potty trained for outside & pad inside. When its raining he doesn't like to be out there and he has accidents inside....I have been training him to go outside only (with some indoor accidents) so I don't know if I should just be patient & stick with that one method....

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I think you have to decide what you want to do, not the dog. If you want him to be an outside only dog then take away the pads, take him outside regularly whether its rain or shine and encourage him to go potty, if he doesn't like the rain he'll soon learn to be quick.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I'm kind of doing the same with Buttons at the moment. I'm using pads indoors and taking him outside too. I don't know whether this confuses them or not but he seems to wee so often and the days I'm looking after my young grandson I can't keep running outside every 5 minutes! He also doesn't like the rain, neither does Rolo. I sort of did this with him too, he's 10 months now and goes exclusively outside. I've put a pad in the place where Buttons always seems to go indoors, the idea being that you gradually move it towards the back door. I did this with Rolo and he just sort of stopped using the pad as he learnt to hold his bladder for longer. It was also easier with him as I got him last June when the weather was nicer and I could leave the back door open all the time. He just used to pootle out the garden on his own and go. I have to physically pick Buttons up myself and take him out.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Mine are all trained to go outside, but I also have a peepad holder and peepads that I leave down every night - I'd say only about once every 3 months or so it is used, even if that.

I leave it down each night so they are used to it and know what it's for so if I need to leave them for a long period of time they know what it's for. Very handy for the odd few days we have been gone all day!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...sometimes he goes pee & poo outside but sometimes he just pees and then wants to go in if its raining. Then like 5 min after we go in he will wander off & poo...I try to keep all the bedroom doors closed because that's where I have carpet but this morning...he creeped out of my sight for like 10 sec and poo'd in my closet (where there is carpet)....lil stinker :)

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Odie is pee pad trained and also goes outside. She uses pee pads at our house but if we go to my parents, she's 100% outside only. It IS possible, but it's much easier if you do both at the same time. Second easiest would be pee pad to outside and the hardest (in my opinion) is outside to pee pad.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Mine go both outside and inside. I usually have them inside, so they started out with washable pee pads (human) and also when I take them out, they go also. I didn't have any 'confusion' at all. Home = pee pads, out=grass.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I did both and I still keep a pad on our back screen back porch, because we have some pretty bad storms from time to time in Florida , where I can't let the dogs out. Ike is doing fine with it, he would rather go outside and now ask to go out. I started out with the pads and still took him out, and gradually he started doing his business outside. I used the word potty to train him on both and he knows what it means, of course a little treat when he did.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I trained Angel to do both. I think he prefers to go outside, but like last night when it was really windy and cold, he used his pad. I don't keep it down for him. I only put it out when the weather is really bad! I dont really have anyplace to leave it down. And when my boys come over, they don't like seeing it. They are surprised that mom would let a dog do its business inside!! How we change with age!!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Gemma was trained to use pee pads but she figured out how to go outside on her own naturally. I think the scent of other dogs outside made it a natural thing for her. She does her usual business inside on her pee pad, but when we are outside, she usually goes at least pee. In the winter she definitely uses her pee pads way more than outside, but in the summer we are outdoors more often and she almost does all her poopies while we are outside because there's nothing she loves better than pooping outside on a warm summer day, LOL. Not so much in freezing winter!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts