Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I plan on housebreaking my puppy, and I got potty pads to help with it. I've heard that if you slowly move the pads towards the door and then finally put the pads outside, it'll ease the housebreaking. My problem is that I live in an upstairs apartment. I have all the free yard to let Parker use the bathroom on, so that isn't the problem, but what do I do when the door is at the bottom of a long staircase?

Should I stop putting the pads down once they get to the top stair and THEN put them outside? I want to make this as unstressful for him and easy as I can. Any advice would be GREAT. Thanks!

cindy

ps. I accidentally put this in the wrong part of the boards, so there isn't a duplicate if you saw the other, I deleted it. Sorry!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Oooh...

You do have a problem, don't you? My experience is this: I live in a 2nd floor apartment here in the Houston area. I keep piddle pads in my bathroom for Dobbie's use. I also take him for walks (where he also does his business). He will go to the door and cry to go out, telling me he has to go. The pads are for late night, and for while I'm at work. Since Dobbie has the run of the apartment while I'm gone, I believe the pads are great. When I come home, I pickup the soiled pad and put a fresh one down. I also like the pads because, in the middle of the night, he gets down, goes to the pad and does his business, then comes back to bed. (Smart dog!)
I don't know what to tell you about how to train your pup. If the pup goes all the way down to the door, you probably wouldn't see it. If it stops at the top of the stairs and whines, then you would see it.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I would put the pads on the top of the stairs then just take him outside after that.

I have a potty pad in the livingroom and in the bedroom.... This morning Gadget pooed in the bathroom again so I put one in there between the toilet and the cabinet. I had to tape it to the cabinet because it doesn't all fit on the floor... So I hope the next time he goes in there he goes on the pad..

Good luck and God bless.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I cant get Bindi to go outside :roll: I too have TWO flights of steps to get outside then a mad dash across the parking lot. I cant even get her to go outside on a pad, she holds it til she comes in, and she sees Kemo go outside...sniffs it and everything!!!!! STILL nothing............Im doomed :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nikki said:
What ever happened to using newspaper? :lol:

I'm living in an apartment my mom owns, newspaper has more of a chance to bleed through (the whole apartment has brand new carpeting) and she told me to use potty pads...not my choice. Just want to keep a place to live, hehe.

cindy

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
palaverly said:
nikki said:
What ever happened to using newspaper? :lol:

I'm living in an apartment my mom owns, newspaper has more of a chance to bleed through (the whole apartment has brand new carpeting) and she told me to use potty pads...not my choice. Just want to keep a place to live, hehe.

cindy
you have carpeting :? omg i really feel for you :wink: i hope the potty training goes well

kisses nat

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the pee pads in my office and in the laundry room. I have them lining a dog litter box and also on the floor next to the box since my dogs like to walk when they poo and it ends up on the floor, so I just play it safe.

I line the box and the floor with newspapers also. This is just extra protection for if the pee pads leak thru (which DOES happen) and also to save my carpet in the office. Plus I have plenty of newspapers and they are MUCH cheaper than pee pads. I did try the newspaper by itself, hoping to save money, but the pee just ran off onto the floor.

I eventually want to eliminate the litter box/pee pads in my office, but for now I keep them in there with me during the day, with the office door closed, and that way they are not running around where I can't see what hey are into. Once they are older and housebroken, I only want one location and that would be the laundry room.

Another thing, I wasn't having much luck with my Daisy (a Yorkie Westie) using the pee pads/litter box, so I started taking her outside since the weather is nicer, and now she will use them AND go outside!! It is great. I am so glad I started her out this way. She is not 100% perfect, but if she needs to go inbetween going out, she just walks to one of the litter boxes and goes. A mom feels so proud when this happens!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
A little hint for picking up pee pads

You can pickup a messy pee pad without getting your hands yucky:
Take a plastic bag (from the grocery store) and put your hand inside it (like a large glove). Then using this gloved hand, roll up the pee pad into a smaller bundle. Continue to hold it inside the glove while you use your other hand to pull the "handles" down around the dirty pee pad. Then tie the handles in a knot and throw in the garbage.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
As far as I'm concerned the pee pads are the greatest invention since the light bulb!! :lol: They work soooo much better than newspaper.

I used the pads to train Jasmine at first, and now she goes outside when I take her out, but will also use the pads at night or when I am not home. They're great and are well worth the cost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts