Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
Last night we adopted a 3 year old terrier/chi mix she is very scared and timid.
The rescue shelter told us that they dont think she was ever potty trained my question is how do I potty train her to use pad/outdoors? Is it the same method used to train puppys?
I know she still has to calm down a bit but she pretty much pees and poops where ever she wants to, I took her outside a few times but no go.
Any help would be appreciated

Here is a pic she is doing much better this morning

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
You need to confine her to one area of the house.
Otherwise she will create accidents thru the house and go back and repeat.
Some people use pee pads and move them closer to the back door
and finially the dog learns to come to the door to go out.
I use pee pads for Dahlia and she stays indoors.
Im sure someone with an outdoor potty routine will post soon.
Good luck and its great your chi mix has a 2nd chance at
happiness in your home! You will love this forum! :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh and so far she keeps growling at Peebo but the cat she is ok with. I guess maybe Peebo just wants to play and it freaks her out but I am going to give her as much time as she needs.
We have them in separate rooms so she can just try and get calm for the time being.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would say to pick the method you want to use. Either pads or outside (not both) and start her from scratch just like you would with a puppy. Crate training and using the leash to tie her to you so she can't wander off and have accidents and taking her outside (or to a pad) on a good regular basis. Praise like mad when she potties appropriately.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so pretty much just start from scratch, shes eating this morning which is a good she didnt eat a anything all night.

Thank you for the suggestions :coolwink:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Well looks like you have been given some great advice let us know how she progress's :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes she is but Peebo keeps jumping all around giving her the Chihuahua welcome (lots of loud barking) and its freaking her out still. You can really tell the difference in their ages.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would start from scratch with her as well. You can move forward as quickly or as slowly as she learns. Sometimes an older dog can take a little longer to catch on, but they CAN learn new tricks! One of my pugs, Chloe, is a rescue from the SPCA. She was a cruelty case. She learned and is a great dog! I love her to pieces, and I can tell you, rescues really know it and are very grateful! Good luck with her, she's adorable! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think if she hangs out with Peebo she will figure it out by watching him. She looks happy today she was playing with her blanket her stools are still soft but not watery I am just hoping its the transition to new food.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
It should be pretty easy to potty train her if you have another dog (Peebo?). Every time Peebo has to go out take her. The trick is to give her plenty of time to sniff around & smell what Peebo is doing so she gets the idea. When she finally goes outside, make sure you give her LOTS of praise so she knows she's done the right thing. After I feed my chi, I wait for about 15 minutes & then let her out. Whenever I step outside for mail or anything, I let her out with me.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Her soft stools could be nerves too. Everything's new to her & she's not sure what to think or what to expect yet. She'll warm up quickly. Sounds like she's already enjoying herself & she's found a great home!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
She looks just like my Pedro did when we rescued him! (He's half Chi, half Cairn terrier!) His hair is very long now, and very soft and thick. I think they are even almost the same colour, and they're definitely the same age!

He supposedly wasn't housebroken when we got him, but the shelter manager had gotten him leash trained.

I just treated him as if he were a pup - I took him outside frequently, and really praised him and made a big deal out of it when he pottied outside, then rewarded with treats. He only had a couple of accidents inside, and both of those were rain induced.

We stopped back by the shelter a few weeks after I got them, and none of the workers there could believe we got him housetrained...Nor could they believe how long his hair had grown! (He was on a diet of cat food only before we got him, and they suspect this was why his coat was so short.)

How are things going now with her? Has she settled in?

·
Registered
464 Posts
i just adopted a 3 year long hair chi (picking her up on wed). She goes outside and on wee pad too. I think having both is pretty good because if you have to go out somewhere, and leave him in the bathroom, you won't have to sponge up the pee. But I, being new to this, so you might want to consider other people about not using both. but my sissy knows to do business outside but i don't think she tells you she wants to go out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How are things going now with her? Has she settled in?
Yes she is doing very well she and Peebo are getting along she has a way better appetite and she is alot more calm now, she still shakes terribly around strangers and seems very protective of Peebo around our cat when ever they play with the cat if Princess hears Peebo yelp or make any noise she comes running over to chase the cat away lol! She walks with her head up now her eyes are clear and her expression is a lot more relaxed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She looks just like my Pedro did when we rescued him! (He's half Chi, half Cairn terrier!) His hair is very long now, and very soft and thick. I think they are even almost the same colour, and they're definitely the same age!

I am waiting for her hair to grow in they said it was very long when they found her.
Her hair is very soft and it looks a little wavy but I think she will look completely different when it does grow back. Can you please post a picture of Pedro I would love to see him!:D

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Sure!

This is Pedro the first day we got him:

Don't you think they look alot alike?

And this is a pic from this past weekend:

Pedro was deemed unadoptable by the shelter that had him - he was literally on death row when I walked in that day, and it took ALOT of talking on my part to take him home with me. He is a fear biter, and was abused by some children. The shelter didn't realize that he also disliked men, but this is something we're working on. He's taken to my husband quite well, although he did get bitten a few times by Pedro early on. We're still trying to get him to make friends with my son - he's 6'2" and weighs about 240 lbs, and has alot of tattoos, and all we can figure out is that Pedro had a bad experience with a large tattooed man! Regardless, he's fine with my son as long as he's sitting, but if he gets up to walk somewhere and I'm not on top of things, Pedro will nab him on the ankle or calf!

He's never going to be okay with children, but I've gotten him to the point to where I can at least get him to stop barking at them, and keep it to a low growl!

He's really come a long way since we got him, but we've had to be very patient with him - just like you would with a puppy. He doesn't like strangers, either, and that's something that might never change. If they weren't socialized properly when they're young, some things are out of your control.

But, he's the light of our lives...We love him and all his dysfunction! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts