Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
zoey is refusing to go poo on her potty pad... it's driving us crazy!!!! she pees on it probably 7/10 times but 1/10 times will she poop on it. i dont know why she is acting this way!!!

any ideas? anyone else had trouble w/ this too??

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I've heard Chi's do not like to poo and wee at the same spot...don't have any tips for you; I hope someone else does! Good luck!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wonder why they don't like to poo and pee around the same spot? maybe thats the reason for her ignoring the pad when she has to poo....

hmmmm i never thought of seeting 2 pads out! i will definitely try that tomorrow! she might just pee on both of them and then frustrate me more by pooing on the floor!! what a little trouble-maker!!! :wink: her other favorite thing lately seems to be biting the potty pad and dragging it across the living room. geez.... it seems that we will definitely be working on this for a long while.

·
Registered
213 Posts
colleen
Tinkerbell has the same problem.
She is really good about peeing in her potty pad but she never poops in it.
We can't put another one down because it confusing Andrew (our eskie who is potty trained already)
What you might do is attach a leash on her whenever she is out, so that she is always in your veiw. . . and you can catch her in the act. I have heard this recommended before. . . but Tinkerbell is caught in the act, and I tell her NO! and I put her in her litter pan, but she just looks at me like "what?" So I dont know what to do at this point.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
yeah ozzy did the same with the pads he would poo on it if it hadnt got pee on but oned he had peed on it he would poo on the floor so i put 2 down in seperate areas and it worked a treat , eventually get rid of the poo pad as they will poo outside as it is easier to time poo - between 5 and 15 mins after each meal :wave:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zoey is CRAZY!!! i set out another pad for her to poo on and she thought it was a toy!! she would not stop biting it and pulling it across the room! i'm just totally stumped on what to do!! i cannot train her to go outside bc i live on the 4th floor of an apartment and i really want her to be able to GO when she needs to instead of me carrying her out (she cant walk down stairs yet) and i eventually want her to go in a litterbox (she will DEFINITELY eat the litter if we try it now... :cry:) any more suggestions?!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I chihuahua TInkerbell also plays with her potty pad, and if I leave her alone for more then 1/2 an hour she tears it all up.
But, she dosen't eat Andrews litter (our eskie)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hmm...strange...both my 2 Chis, Mocha and Beetle pee and poop on the puppy pads. :scratch:
Does setting out an extra pad helps?

Mocha also did pulled out the diapers and chew on it in the living room when she was a baby. But once after I changed to another brand, she stopped doing so, perhaps there were so kinda scent in that particular brand that interested her in dragging it out and playing w/ it.

JJ

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey everybody!
yes, we have a holder for one of the potty pads but havent gotten a chance to buy another holder. when i put the 2nd one down, she peed on that one too-- so i felt like she was confused. maybe she is just still learning. we will have had her for 2 weeks this friday so .... i guess i shouldnt expect TOO MUCH from her. she's also still a baby-- 11 wks... i dunno....

·
Registered
213 Posts
yeah she is still young so is Tinkerbell.
It also depends how the breeder was training her.
I thnk the litter should be fine. She may eat it alittle bit at first, but you just tell her no, and give her something else to chew on.
Andrew and Tinkerbell don't chew on the litter I have in Andrews litter pan anymore. I suggest using Purnia's Yesterdays News for cats, it is smaller.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oooooooooooh i am so FRUSTRATED! i feel like i'm doing everything wrong. zoey doesn't understand where to go potty, she doesn't understand that it isnt okay to bite, she wont walk on a leash.... i suck at training this puppy :oops: please tell me that chihuahuas are stubborn and take a while to train-- because if not, i am doing SOMETHING wrong. it's been 2 weeks and she still hasnt caught what i do and dont want her to do. :cry: i dont know what i'm doing wrong...

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Darlin she is not even 3 mos old.........it takes awhile, plus you have only had her awhile, her surroundings are still new to her. Puppies are frustrating to say the least. Being consistent is the best approach, keep plugging on. Chi's are stubborn, some get it real quick some don't. I have heard more negative than positive when it comes to stuff like this. Stick to a method, make sure your not switching up. Get some good books if you dont have some already. A few people mentioned some under Dusty's mom thread. Of course we are here too. Her instinct to bite is natural, direct her to a toy when she wants to bite and say Nooooooooo in a firm but not shouting tone. Withdrawl attention from her, she will get that biting means mommy wont play, pet etc....you can also say ouch and act hurt, withdraw attention. Good luck keep us posted :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
The first few weeks are hard - nobody told you it was easy :D , but in a few weeks time it will be getting easier, with Ozzy for 2 solid weeks when I was with him I would sit on the floor and as soon as he looked like he wanted to pee Id pick him up and put him on the pad, do you have pads quite near to the area she is in?

pups need to pee every hour to hour and half
after eating
after playing
and straight from waking

GOOD LUCK - we all know what your going through

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Tucker is 6 months old now and we've been working on this for months. Some days he's 80/20----but there are those days when he's almost 100% off the pads. He definitely knows what he's supposed to do, but won't always follow through. We just keep at it, though, and I expect that as he gets closer to a year old, he will be more consistent. If not, oh well. . . We have linolium and hardwood floors throughout the house, so it's very easy to clean up. :)

P.S. I find that for several days after a bath, Tucker will NOT use the pads much at all, as if to say, "I didn't like that!" :roll:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dobbie and tinklepads

Dobbie seems to believe the pads are only for Poop, at night. For pee, he goes to the front door and sits there and calls out to me. However, he has on several occasions used the pad to pee. (He doesn't use the floor or carpet, but will use a towel if it is left on the bathroom floor. That's why I have hopes of the pad.)

When he uses his pad, he comes bouncing out of the bathroom and is so excited.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
zoey is still having trouble understanding that the pad is for poo and pee!

she has been going poo on it rarely-- but that's a step up from never at least!!!!

hopefully it gets easier for all of us as our pups grow up! :shock:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts