Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a little long, but I wanted to give everyone background info on Maisy's potty issues.

Maisy, a long hair, is almost 4 years old (her bday is February 12). We adopted her almost 2 years ago from the Humane Society right around Valentine's Day. When we brought her home she was shaved almost all the way down (her former owners gave her up due to allergies and apparently tried to keep her hair as short as possible) and there was about 2 feet of snow outside. So we tried potty pads and going outdoors with a jacket. She liked neither of these options. She always peed right next to the potty pad, sometimes right after she was brought in.

Once Spring came, she got a little bit better about going outside. We moved in July and she was on and off about where she wanted to go, sometimes in the house, sometimes outside, sometimes only if she got to go for a long walk. We tried everything from deterrent sprays inside the house to lots of rewards outside with her on a strict schedule.

Finally in March of 2011, I moved in with my parents because of my new job. Maisy only went once in their house (right when we moved in), and my mom even got her on a schedule. We tried putting this dog on a schedule for over a year, and she wanted nothing to do with it. So, I was both kinda peeved and really grateful that somehow my mom managed to get her to stop going in the house.

My husband and I moved into our current home in July, and Maisy was really good about using the bathroom outside...in the beginning. Suddenly, she started peeing in the house. She also likes to poop next to the cat's litter box. She even jumped out of the bed one morning and immediately peed on the carpet at the foot of the bed. Right in front of me! And since I found out I was pregnant, she won't let me take her out. She sits and gets dragged across the floor if it's me attempting to take her out. If I carry her outside, she just sits and stares at me once we're out there. So, it's making things even harder since she'll only go out for one of us.

So, to sum it up:
1. Maisy CAN be potty trained
2. She's super stubborn about it though
3. The peeing in the house got way worse when we found out I was pregnant. I know she knows something is going on.
4. We heavy duty steam vacced the carpet where she usually goes as a way to help remove the smell. It hasn't worked.

So, I am in desperate need of some sort of advise. We tried doing what my mom did to train her, but she seems so indifferent when it's my husband and I. She's such a good girl about everything else.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It sounds like a simple solution actually; she has too much freedom. If she's having accidents when you're not watching; that's YOUR fault and not hers. (Not trying to be harsh, just honest.) If she cannot be 100% trusted to roam free without having an accident, she should not be allowed it. She should be in a crate that has just a small bed; OR a pen that has one side for a potty like this:

Simply put, if YOU can't guarantee that you can keep a hawks eye on her, she needs to be in the crate/pen. When she is out and about, start by tether training her. This means she'll be attached to a leash clipped onto your belt loop or waist. This will ensure that she's by you constantly, and not sneaking off to potty in the house. Give her plenty of opportunities to potty and praise constantly. And, if while you are watching her she STARTS to potty; that very first moment it is up to you to pick her up, and redirect her to the proper area. It is your goal to PREVENT every single accident before it begins. If she ends up having any accidents that you weren't watching for; that will just be a step backwards as there's no way to correct a behavior AFTER it's happened. If she doesn't get stopped immediately WHILE she starts; she has no reason to think its wrong and will keep doing it.
It sounds like a hot of hard work and a PITA. And yeah it is; but it's also the fastest and most reliable way to ensure a dog is housebroken. So that's my advice... invest in a setup where her natural aversion will prevent her from soiling it; offer plenty of praise when she goes in the right place; and keep a constant eye on her at all times (use a tether to keep her beside you throughout the day) and IMMEDIATELY redirect any accidents as they begin. And remember, if she already went and you didn't catch it; that is not HER fault. ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Kat is right...You build the schedule with the crate or pen. It's the easiest way to housetrain I've found.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts