Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oscar is 2-3 years old and I adopted him about 3 months ago. He is fantastic and such a quick learner. I live in a pretty small basement suite so was hesitant about the idea of pee pads and figured I could either take him into the yard or for a walk. The thing is, I have a few different jobs, and very random hours. I always make an effort to come home at some point if it's a long day but occasionally he will pee inside. He tries to hold it but I think as my hours are so random he's never sure when I'll be home to take him out. I've decided to get pee pads as a back up so he doesn't have to hold it or feel guilty. Any recoommendations on brand etc? I have no clue and have only seen "training pads" at the pet store, is that the same thing? Where should I put it? As I mentioned my house is pretty small so I worry about the smell. Lastly, how should I train him to go on them? He know he needs to potty outside but I guess sometimes he can't hold it. He has never pooed in the house just peed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're called wee wee pads? Do they leak through at all? My bathroom is so tiny I can literally pee and brush my teeth at the same time..not that I do LOL! I could put them right outside the door though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use Wee Wee Pads, which are available at Petco. I've seen some other pads that didn't seem as good quality - ripping very easily.

Somethng else I wold recommend is this tray from Martha Stewart Pets, which you can get at PetSmart: Martha Stewart Pets&#0153 Waste Pad Tray - Martha Stewart Pets - Dog - PetSmart. It is just the right size for the Wee Wee Pads, and prevents any leaking underneath, and also prevents leaking if your chi is peeing too close to the edge. The slightly raised sides also seem to encourage them to keep all paws on the pad when going.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I also agree that you should get a tray. I always recommend one. We have one tray in the corner of the living room. And one tray in the corner of the bedroom, so that when we're sleeping Chole can use the stairs to get off the bed and go. We don't have room to keep ours in the bathrooms or kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the advice! I will definitely get some wee pads as well as a tray. Do you know if there is anything in pet stores that works well? Also, what's the best way to go about transitioning an adult dog to these? I worry that when I'm not home he will ignore them and keep using my bath mat lol. Outside will still be his main potty area but as winter approaches it make sense to have another option. BC might not be as cold as the rest of Canada but it rains a LOT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts