Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Lola is now 4 1/2 months old and the potty thing is not going very well. She pee pee's outside (most of the time) but I could stand and walk her for an hour and she will poop as soon as I come inside. Any suggestions?? Also she sleeps in a crate at night and every night she poops in the crate. It is the one that she was flown in so it is not very big. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! The other day after I had been outside for 45 mins we went inside and I saw her doing the circle thing as if she was going to poop, so I took her outside immediately and guess what we walked and stood for another 30 minutes and nothing!!!! I don't know what else to do. I have taken the poop outside and shown it to her several times and told her to "go potty outside" doesn't help.

Are girls harder to train or is it just my girl?? Cookie was not this hard!!!

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Kari

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wish I knew the answer to this! Because my Chloe has the same problem :? I know chis aren't supposed to like to soil where they sleep but Chloe seems to think there's nothing wrong with it..yucky!! I've been doing everything and routinely/consistently and she's 7 months old now. As a matter of fact she just peed on the bathroom tiles less than 10 minutes ago, 2 feet from her potty pad :roll:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
You are not the only one - deano is 2! and he has just started doing it - he is housetrained but suddenly he has started poo-ing in the house, everytime this happens i tell him to go on his bed and he stays there and sulks for awhile. I do not understand! I took him out less then a minute a go and he had a wee then came in and poo-ed in my living room! Then at night i take him out for a wee, and he always has one, in the morning i find out he has wee-ed about 1m away from his paper. again he goes straight to his basket and sulks. I know that this maybe becasue he is a fussy eater and picks and we are trying to get him on to a dog food he will stick at but surely he could of gone outside when i took him out! If any of you get any answers - tell me! My mum is less then impressed - newly decorated house - oh its a no no! We have only had him about 3-4weeks, but he seems to be settled. I h ave noticed he is eating grass too - a sign of upset stomach. If any one knows any tips to try get him to stop doing this - he is old enough to know now! :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I don't think girls are harder to train than boys - but it has been a long time since I had a male puppy, so I really can't say with certainty. I don't think it is all that unusual for them to regress occasionally in their potty training. It is normally due to a change in routine, surroundings, food, etc. I know it is frustrating, but just keep training, rewarding for good behaviour, etc.

I was really fearful that Jasmine would regress in her potty training when I went back to work temporarily. She was used to being with me practially 24/7. So far, she has done great though.

I wish I had more answers for you, but unfortunately with potty training there don't seem to be any magic answers or shortcuts.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I have noticed with Gadget that he will go days and days with out having an accident.. then I will be lax on the changing of the pads and he will go on the floor... Like this morning he went on the floor in the bathroom.... It was him telling me that his pad was dirty and he was not dgoing to use it..

I usually change the bathroom one every day (It is only one pad)

the pad in the livingroom is 3 pads taped together. I usually can get away with 3 days as long as I pick up the poo.

The one in the bedroom is a everyday change...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I sympathize with you guys. My Pablo was litter trained by about 6 months old and has never had an accident that I can recall. But, my Trixie who is 10 months old is such a little stinker!! She will not use the litter so we got her the pads. She knows to use them and will always poop on them, but only pees on them 50% of the time. After she pees on the floor, she will either run into her crate or she will jump into the litter. Not sure if she is confused or has a bladder control problem or what. ::scratch: ? Good thing she is so sweet and that we love her so much! :) :roll:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you!! It is nice to know that I am not the only one in this spot!!! :lol: I guess it is just a keep at it thing. Like Maureen said, it is just good that she is so sweet and cute. It makes the clean up worth it :wink:

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I can really sympathise with you..Poppy is 8 months old and its so frustrating because 50% of the time she will pee and poop on her paper, and the rest of the time she goes anywhere she feels like it! :evil:
I try to anticipate her times for wanting to go and take her to her spot..she will literally sit there looking at me for 15 mins and as soon as my back is turned, go poop on my son's bedroom carpet! Aaaagh! I dont know what to do! :roll:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Deano has got much better now - he has been eating boiled rice and chicken, he picked the chicken out first but now he seems to gobble it all. His poo is no longer runny, but normal. And he has stopped pooing inside! No longer in the morning do i smell poo! lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
I started a thread on this subject but since this one is getting more replies, I'll jump in and post mine.

Dezi had been doing so well. When we get home from work, she'd go straight to her potty pad and do it there. She'd never do it in the car or on my bed. Lately, she's been literally avoiding the potty pad and doing it on the floor. One time, I saw her circling on the floor so I quickly put her on the pad. She just looked at me and decided not to. The moment I turned around, she pooped on the floor 3 inches away from the pad. :evil: I'm confused now. I know that chi's do certain things out of spite sometimes either when certain routines have changed or when u start leaving them in the house for a long period of time. She's gotten into the habit of pooping behind my front door so that when I return home, I'd step on it. I just can't seem to get her trained again so I started locking her inside the bathroom with her bed, potty pad, and food/water. Also, she's been destructive. She's chewed a hole in my mattress and on my carpet. I'm getting really frustrated but I still love her very much. I'm getting ready to take her to obedience school because I've ran out of options.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
hmmm... Desi sounds like she has serpartion anxiety. When you leave her do you leave a radio or a tv on for her?

I have only left Gadget alone a few times now but I always leave the tv on for him... since he is used to it being on 24 hours a day (I have to have it on to sleep)

He has been really good about going on the potty pad when we are gone.. the only problem I have with him is he sometimes will poo on the floor when we are home... not sure why he does this...

I have cleaned the carpets but it didn't help... I guess I am going to have to figure something else out...

Good luck and God bless

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's a lil hard to put a TV in the bathroom. I don't let Dezi run around free in the house while I'm gone. As I said before, when I did that, she tore up the carpet and the other time, she chewed up a corner of my mattress. Yes, she managed to pull back on the bed sheets and get to the bare mattress. That's why I have been confining her in the bathroom while I'm gone. I don't shut the door, I use a barrier to keep her from getting out. Yesterday, I locked her in my bedroom so she can sleep on my bed while the TV is on however, she found a couple of photo albums underneath my bed and destroyed it!!! Thank goodness there aren't any personal photos in there. I used to take her to work with me everytime but now its come to the point where I can't anymore. When I leave her, its usually around 3-4 hours, sometimes more but very rarely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.