Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I am really struggling with Libby and potty training. She is just not getting it at all.

She is in a baby playpen when I am gone or at night time and I have a very small wee pad in there, as well as her food, water, and bed. Everything is small, so there is still plenty of room in there. She goes on the pad perfectly when she is in there, but when she is in a larger room, she never goes on the pad.

Are there different brands of pads that have a stronger scent? Or some type of spray that will attract her there??

Could she maybe not want to go where Bella has already gone??

I am getting so frustrated because I never had this when I was training Bella. She will pee or poo on the floor and I will say "No" and put her on the pad and then usually put whatever she did on the pad or rub the pee on their so there is her scent..Help please!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
my dog Shiloh was like that ,even now at 1 1/2 yrs she will still have the odd accident , all my other dogs were so easy to train.
all is i can think of is maybe have more than one puppy pad down at the same time and if she is using the same spot put one there also .

im not a fan of going mad on them when they go to the toilet where they shouldn't , i feel it makes them just hide where you cant see them when they need to go .

there is little doggie toilets you can buy that have grass on the top and a tray underneath maybe thats worth a try ?
or maybe even try just some good old newspaper :) ,i have tried a litter tray with keona and she used it straight away but i had a bit of a problem with her digging in it lol

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You can get a spray to attract her to it more, but it took Trigger a good 6 weeks to "get" where he was supposed to go (on the pad). But we did something different for him....we put the pad inside a large wire crate because otherwise he'd miss. Every single time he'd pee somewhere he shouldn't we'd clap our hands, say "NO!" and put him in the pee cage ahahaha. The thing was...you could shut him in there. And we'd leave him for 4 or 5 minutes. After maybe 2 weeks he started going in voluntarily about half the time, and that got better each and every day to now where I don't think he's had an accident in 2 weeks =-D But I really think it helped being able to shut him in there, not just put him on it and have him run off.

The odd thing was lol, for about a week, whenever he was in trouble for ANYTHING he'd BOLT for the potty cage!!! It made us laugh but then he'd go roll around in his wee or poo and we had no clue what his deal was. But he stopped, and right after started using it voluntarily. So...this is what worked for us and maybe it will for you =)

Oh, I forgot, whenever he DID go in voluntary, we'd praise him like crazy, give him snuggles and a yummy treat.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I don't use pads, so I don't know from experience, but maybe the room is too large and an x-pen would be helpful for now to keep her in a smaller area?

This thread on here lists some ideas:
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=32302

This one in particular:

5. If your doesn't understand that the potty pads are for them to use you can try closing off an area (with an ex-pen or gated area) that is covered in potty pads and then as time goes by slowly reduce the area that is covered in potty pads until you have just one that your puppy will use.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in the uk there is a spray you can get that attracts them to pee on it, I'm not sure whats its called but its by 'simple solution'. If you cant find anything like it where you are i would gladly send you some to try.
xx
I'll have to try and see if I can find some of that stuff! i am just getting SO frustrated with it! haha

You can get a spray to attract her to it more, but it took Trigger a good 6 weeks to "get" where he was supposed to go (on the pad). But we did something different for him....we put the pad inside a large wire crate because otherwise he'd miss. Every single time he'd pee somewhere he shouldn't we'd clap our hands, say "NO!" and put him in the pee cage ahahaha. The thing was...you could shut him in there. And we'd leave him for 4 or 5 minutes. After maybe 2 weeks he started going in voluntarily about half the time, and that got better each and every day to now where I don't think he's had an accident in 2 weeks =-D But I really think it helped being able to shut him in there, not just put him on it and have him run off.

The odd thing was lol, for about a week, whenever he was in trouble for ANYTHING he'd BOLT for the potty cage!!! It made us laugh but then he'd go roll around in his wee or poo and we had no clue what his deal was. But he stopped, and right after started using it voluntarily. So...this is what worked for us and maybe it will for you =)

Oh, I forgot, whenever he DID go in voluntary, we'd praise him like crazy, give him snuggles and a yummy treat.
I praise her when I see her go on the pad, but boy, that doesn't happen too often! Hahaha! It's awful!

I don't use pads, so I don't know from experience, but maybe the room is too large and an x-pen would be helpful for now to keep her in a smaller area?

This thread on here lists some ideas:
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=32302

This one in particular:

5. If your doesn't understand that the potty pads are for them to use you can try closing off an area (with an ex-pen or gated area) that is covered in potty pads and then as time goes by slowly reduce the area that is covered in potty pads until you have just one that your puppy will use.
Thanks! I have actually thought about getting her a pen or something and putting it downstairs in the living room for a bit with some pads in it. I do think that the room may be overwhelming and she doesn't know what to do.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know if this will make a difference but I put pads for Sophie in several different places so pretty much wherever she was there was a pad. She does good except she thinks anything left on the floor is a pad :foxes15: maybe i'm killing 2 birds with 1 stone...training Sophie and training my kids to keep their clothes and blankets off the floor unless they want poop on it lol. The pads I use are OUT! and I get them from Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Thanks! I have actually thought about getting her a pen or something and putting it downstairs in the living room for a bit with some pads in it. I do think that the room may be overwhelming and she doesn't know what to do.
I can't believe i didn't think of this duh!!! I had to confine Daisy to one room at a time (the front room as it leads out to the garden) when she was out of her crate.. and only took her into another room after she'd had a wee.. Its only been the last month that i've felt comfortable enough to leave all the doors open (stairs are still blocked off coz i dont want her hurting herself) as i know she knows now that the garden is her special bathroom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts