Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have potty trained 15+ puppies in my life time.......Okay I had a little help as a kid from my parents ;). I am usually great at it. I fostered a 6 month old female Beagle recently who had absolutely no training and that included potty training. And I had her fully potty trained in less than a week. I have had 9 week old pups potty trained within 3 days.

But I have never had to potty train a "Toy breed" puppy.

Faye is 6 months and I knew when I got her that she was not fully house trained. Now it has been a trip potty training this girl! She potties for me outside in the morning no problem. Because I take her straight out and have a huge party when she does potty lol. Then all through the rest of the day when I take her out, no matter how long. It is like pulling teeth getting her to go!

She is distracted by everything. On leash or off leash. She is just like "La ti da ooooh birds! La la la A BUTTERFLY!". I use cue words and I have been out with her hours at a time. Sometimes on walks she will go. But sometimes she won't.

Now I have never been a big fan of crates. I'm not getting into why. But I have realized that I cannot cook, leave the room, or brush my teeth without crating her for a few minutes. Because otherwise in those few minutes she will go and poop or pee in the house.

I have been scrubbing her accident areas with Natures Miracle. And every time I catch her in the act I take her outside. And again when she does go she gets "a party" and told how good she is. No I do not yell at/scold her for going inside. It's just a loud "EH EH!" if I catch her and then as I walk her outside I say "WE POTTY OUTSIDE".

Sometimes going potty with the older dogs helps. And sometimes it doesen't.

I am thinking about breaking and buying pee pads. But I don't want her to only go in the house.

So happy I work from home lol. We go outside every hour/half hour. And she is perfectly healthy.

So yeah any advice would be great. I have never potty trained a Chi mix puppy before. And they are not lying when they say Chi/yorkies are hard to housetrain.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Jees, I could've written that entire post, from start to finish!

I too am caught in the potty training nightmare of Chidom. Things are just starting to get back on track since spaying & neutering .... for a while after that any floor space was fair game, despite having numerous pads down.

I imagined I'd be able to leave my doors open 24/7 that lead out on to a large covered deck/entertaining area but if faces the street & the monsters will bark at anything and everything so I have to keep them shut.

Couple of days ago I had a doggy door put in to a side door that opens on to a tiny side deck - it's about 9' x 6' where my African Grey's night cage is and she enjoys them popping in and out for drinks & pees etc. Eventually I intend to feed them out there too. The doggy door flap is still taped up as they learn to come and go and I put their water out there so they are forced to use it and they've been happily doing so.

I also put used potty pads out there and was delighted to see this a.m. that one of the Tinies has been using it as their potty area.

I don't see the pee pads inside as confusing them ... I've always had pee pads inside and pee pads outside so they know they go in either place whenever they need to. I ended up buying the washable/reusable pee pads though, the expense & landfill was a killer.

There should be a warning notice attached to every Chi, 'Warning, I May or May Not Do House Training; Don't Take It Personally!"

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
House training Toby was the worst experience of my life! It took months of CONSTANT supervision and diligence. In my life, I have raised a few puppies but never experienced anything like what I went through with Toby. It was just, well, for lack of a better word, hell. He still sometimes has a random accident, but is mostly reliable.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
lol I feel ya all. Try trying to train 11 chis and 5 chi mixes. I have one mostly trained chi out of the bunch. And I have been training them since the moment they walked in the door. Because we live in the dog room with a dog door, most of mine will go outside to do their business. Other times, if I am at the store or not in the room, as soon as they get the urge and the dog door is shut, they think nothing of peeing, pooping on the floor. I would love to leave the dog door open 24/7, but Smoke will bark hystericaly at the puppy next door, wind blowing, leaves falling, the sun being out. And I have a few others that will bark back at the puppy, too. I try to be respectful of my neighbors at all times, so sometimes I have to close the dog door to stop the barking. Only two dogs will tell me when they need to go out if I happen to be in the room. And I have two that will use the pee pad most of the time. I wash the tile daily and Swifter is my best investment. lol And the male dogs I got older and unfixed, forget it, marking is ingrained in their behavior. I praise and treat and everything, but it is an ongoing process. I must say, lately, it is rare that we have accidents, but still have the occasional oops.

I have always had completely house broken dogs all my life until I got the chis. It was extremely hard for me to have these dogs not be housebroken in a reasonable time frame. But I will continue to train and hope someday, I will succeed.

·
Banned
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hahaha well thanks guys at least I know it is not abnormal. Osha and Lacey also have accidents if I am not home so yeah I kind of figure Faye will never be perfectly potty trained. But I will try!

There is a reason they make these Chihuahuas so cute!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I guess I was just lucky! Training Chloe was a breeze. I felt that she was about 90% trained a month after we got her. And now at 5 months old I can't remember when the last accident she had was besides accidentally walking off the pad and having some poop drop off once or twice. We only use pads.

When we were training we started off with giving treats for pottying on the pads. We acted like it was the most amazing thing ever. We said YAY! Good tee tee/poop! If we caught her going somewhere else we would sternly say No! Bad potty! Then we would put her on the pad and say go tee tee/poop. She slept in a play pen with her bed and water on one side and a pad on the other side.

We no longer give treats, but we do still say yay and act excited. It was a breeze for us. The only issue I have is that she doesn't potty outside at all no matter how much we've tried. She thinks it would be a bad potty.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Man, I'm such an outcast! :(

I had great success with my Chis. What's my secret? Many long days of
watching them like a hawk, and many sleepless nights. I literally become a
walking zombie for a while. But it pays off.

ps: long walks are a must, potty breaks aren't enough. During potty training I
spend all of my free time outside. Every time the dog goes on grass..."Good Pee
Pee, Good Pee Pee!!!!"...praise, praise, praise. If you push through and give
110% for a couple of weeks you'll get the results, it's undeniable. No
slacking off, not even during shower time, gotta watch, like a HAWK. lol

...after every single meal, drink of water, play session, nap, take the dog
outside, give the command, if the dog does not go, then go for a walk around
the block until she does. It's not easy, when I potty train a dog I usually have
to take some days off work, it's serious business.:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been having similar issues with my Lexi as well. She pees fine on the puppy pads but will not poop on them. And she doesn't want to do either outside. The only time my boyfriend or I can get her to potty outside is if we are boating or cooking out, which means we are outside for long periods of time and she has no choice. We also praise her and throw a mini party when she goes outside or even on the pads. I'd be ok with just using the puppy pads if we can get her to poop on them as well.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My pups will go potty outside, but they won't TELL me when they have to go. Pip is getting a little better about it, but they're both for the most part pad trained.... by necessity. Elliot pad trained in the dead of winter in Colorado after she was weaned, and she learned really quickly. She is *fairly* accurate with the pads, but I have put down a piece of scrap carpet under her pads because sometimes she wanders while she is going.

Pip was harder to pad train because her previous owners neglected her severely and she just went wherever she wanted. I have a feeling that in her old home she was knocked around when she went inside, and it was reported to my veterinarian that she was often left outside unattended all day/night. Her first couple of months home she was a nightmare sneaking off and pottying in the oddest most secretive places. That got Elliot going in new places too!!!

Finally got them both straightened out with pads though by throwing a party every time they went in the right place. :) I mean, over the top with treats and everything.

So, I take them outside when I am home and not in school or at work, and they will go (unless its rainy or snowy, then they sit at my feet and cry) and the rest of the time they use their pads.

I've heard from around the vet clinic that Chis can be very stubborn little pups to train.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Emerald!!! Yay you're back!! I've missed you lady! :cheer:
I agree, Chihuahuas are one of the most notorious breeds to housebreak.. ha ha.

Thankfully that said, I'm lucky my guys are pee pad trained and I never ever have to worry about accidents when I'm out or what not, it's been a breeze compared to my other dogs I had that were trained for outdoors only!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts