Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 10 week old male chi ( Poppy) hes been with me 2 weeks and my first pet. I am having issues with his potty training, at first we was doing great on the pads then all he wanted to do was play on them when i put him there. now heres the new problem........ he has a play pen hes in when hes not right with me, its divided in half part bed, food and water and other half potty area. he has recently decided hes not going potty in there, he was before for example..... last night he was put on potty pad before he went to bed and wouldnt go at all so i put him in the play pen and went to bed this morning i get up and take him to the pad and tell him potty potty and he just sits there. i kept putting him back on pad and telling him potty potty and for almost an hour he still dont go, now he has gone all night with out going so i know he needs to go . so i put him back in play pen and wait 15 min and he still dont go.... i then block him in kitchen and put him on pad and he waits a while then goes potty. its like he wont go if i am watching all of a sudden,like he thinks he will get in trouble or something. he gets lots of praise and treats and love when he does go on pads. please and advice or comments greatly needed..... thank you , Katrina

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
It is possible that he is confused, they do sound very similar. I wouldn't change his name, that will confuse him. Maybe using "pee pee" and "poo poo" instead of "potty" would help? Also, Toby needs complete privacy when he goes. If he is peeing on the pad and he so much as hears me walking by, he gets distracted. If and when he goes, does he go on the pad? Rocky was like that- he often held it for 6 to 10 hours at a time at almost 5 months old. It worried us a lot, but he was fine. He just had a strong bladder. Just stay consistent and keep going at it. He will learn.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its like he just all of a sudden got shy, and he will go on pad 8 out of 10 only if hes blocked into kitchen. if the kitchen is not blocked he will just go anywhere he wants even if i am watching him. he only has access to the kitchen and living room which are basically one open area. I do think his name and calling it potty are to simular need to change my wording maybe that will help to. thank you for the advice

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
You also have to remember that he is very young. My two didn't even come home until they were 16 and 19 weeks, respectively. Do not give him any freedom or let him out of your site until he is consistent. Stay tough and do not waiver at all. He will learn. Sometimes it can take quite a while, though. Also, make sure you clean up all the accidents with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle or some other strong pet stain/odor remover so that the smell does not linger.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
10 weeks is very young. Can you do crate training? I really believe in it. I got Angel at nine weeks old and he spent 90% of his time in the crate until he was trained. It took about 3 weeks. Now he will go inside or outside.

It takes patience. And I really dont have much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.