Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I found my info from Cooper's obedience class today (we had tons of papers!) and I thought those having trouble with potty training might find this information useful.

Basic tips and steps to follow when housetraining:
  • Pick one spot in your yard to take your dog to for him to do his busienss. Choose a smaller area rather than a larger one. Marke sure that this spot isn't near his play area. Take your dog to this spot on lead to potty. When the dog is finished, praise him.

If your dog potties in the house, do not let him see you clean it up. The reason for this is that often when we find a mess, our emotions take over. Even if we don't scold the dog, which won't do any good anyway, we still might glare at the dog and stomp around. This can turn the event into attention-seeking behavior for the dog. Clean up the mess with paper towels and take them to the spot in the yard where you want the dog to potty. Take the dog there on lead and show him the paper towel and it's contents.

Feed the dog in the spot where he has pottied in the house. A dog will not eliminate where he eats.

Play games with your dog where he has pottied in the house. A dog will not eliminate in his play area.

For fun, hang a bell on the door you use to take your dog outside. Anytime you take the dog out to go potty, ring the bell before you open the door. Eventually, the dog will ring it whenever he needs to go out.

Take your dog out to potty 20 minutes after eating, drinking, waking up and playing.

If you have difficulties training an adult dog, keep a daily log of accidents and adjust your schedule to that.

Puppies can't hold their bladders as long as adult dogs. To estimate how long your puppy can hold their bladder, use the following calculation:
    Puppy Bladder = age in months + 2 hours (do not add the 2 hours for chis or small dogs)

You may succeed in housetraining your puppy and find that there are breakdowns as the puppy gets older. These may happen at 6 months and one year of age as major growth spurts occur.
I hope you can find something to help in this if you're having problems! :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
we still might glare at the dog and stomp around.
:lol: That's just too funny to me. Cause that would be exaclty what i'd do :lol: :lol: .

On the serious note, thanks for all these tips!! You don't know just how much we've needed these!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL I knew I was hoarding Cooper's obedience class paperwork for some reason! :D

I don't have all the hand outs though - If I did, I'd just start posting everything I got. But potty training and training the "come" command are all I have. :(

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cannot sing the praises of obedience training enough! The place I took Cooper to called them "Manners Class" and I was really the one that was taught things, not him.

Besides general commands like sit, stay and come, I learned dog behavior in relation to human behavior and was able to take that information and do other things with it that was more personalized in regards to our house.

It opens your eyes to how you interact with your dog and what things you do or don't do with him or her that are harmful (psychologically speaking) and not.

We also took Canine Good Citizen classes, which are essentially Obedience II classes, afterwards just for fun too. It's a great bonding experience and you really get to know your dog a lot better. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Potty Training

Alright I have two chi's and Andre is 6months and paris is 4months -they are both kept in my bedroom while I am away at work -I live in an apartment so they can't go outside. I have a couple areas where they can go but I'm trying to eliminate to one spot -How can I do this -By the way thank you cooper for putting that post up I have never heard that and I will do --Please help me - also I am new at this forum

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
mine would pee and poo on wrong places now and again , but i have to say these last weeks , they are doing really good , almost no accidents :shock: i'm so happy :p

kisses nat

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanx so much! That was really nice of you. I realise my mistakes now! Miellie's eat, play and poo/pee place are all on the same spot. Will sort that out this evening. Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts