Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's awful. My parents want to use the old way of shoving the dog's nose in his accident because only correcting him when he does good and trying to avoid the bad isnt working for them. He's a little over a year old and my family has had it. If anything it's getting worse. Only poop, never pee. It's usually in a few chosen spots and we try to never let him out of our sight when we know he hasnt pooped but somehow it still happens. And today he pooped in my room. He's never done that before. They want me to shove his nose in it and yell at him :foxes15: I don't know what to do! If we can't figure something out I might not have my baby anymore :sad2::sad2: They can't get rid of him! He was my recovery present for making it through 3 months of hospitalization for depression and other things.. If they get rid of him??? I don't know what I will do >.< We managed to get him crate trained when we thought we never would, I just have to stick this out right? help....

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Haven't you had problems with his health before ? and he was very ill with IBS etc.If it's to do with his IBS,he won't know when he needs to go,or can't get to the pee pad ,outdoors quick enough

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't you had problems with his health before ? and he was very ill with IBS etc.If it's to do with his IBS,he won't know when he needs to go,or can't get to the pee pad ,outdoors quick enough
We never had an actual diagnosis of it but yes he seems to have digestive health issues. IBS seemed to fit the best with what was happening. He hasn't had issues with that now after we have switched him to Blue Buffalo Wilderness. He still has problems where he throws up for seemingly no reason sometimes though. He often skips meals or doesnt feel like eating.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If it was my dog, I'd invest in a puppy playpen. He'd been in it, except when I had direct watch over him. I'd tie him to me when he was out. If he is outside trained, I'd give him freedom ONLY when I knew he had 'gone' poop. Is he free fed? If not, then he'd usually have to 'go' 15 minutes after he has eaten. Take him to where you want him to go, and keep him there until he poops. Use a leash. That way you could show your parents you are doing everything possible with this pup. He could not mess in unappropitate places either. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Have you tried a doggie diaper? At least it keeps the house clean and may help with training, too. There are many different types, one of them is sure to stay on. I would do what the others have said and diaper when he's free.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
He should be potty trained by now. BUT, he is still relatively young. If people are yelling at him, he may get stressed and it could be influencing his habits. I have trained Angel to use pee pads and go outside. He seems to pee outside just done. He even poops outside! But he seems to prefer to poop INSIDE!:foxes15: So, I juts decided to put a pee pad down for him and not even worry about it! If he poops inside, no big deal! But I really prefer he pee outside, which he does! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's supposed to go out doors. We don't have any problems with pee, only poop. He was paper trained when he was with his breeder. They would be okay with him going inside on a pad but only if he pooped on a pad. We tried placing one down for him in his "favorite spots" and he just wouldnt use them. I haven't looked at a doggie diaper. Didnt really know there was one. We use diapers on our chicken lol. He isnt free fed anymore because of our other dogs and he isnt allowed to be out of our sight until he poops after he eats and then somehow he poops in the house.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
We joke here that Mickey just like a man, when he has to poop he HAS to poop! He can hold his pee all day, but poo is a different story. The potty pads have made everyone happy! (We're lucky that he uses them when needed). Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't give up on your puppy!

Congratulations for getting your little friend and I'm sorry you had to go through 3 months of hospitalization for depression and other things. It is really a shame that your parents old way of shoving the dog's nose in his accidents it will only cause more stress for everyone. The reason he is choosing some areas is because he smelled his scent. I think he pooped in your room because he felt safer. It is great that your baby is crate trained, have you ever considered using an indoor dog toilet? Be PATIENT with your baby. Do give up!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Mickey usually only poops on the potty pad. He'd much rather go outside to pee, even in 10"snow. He will pee on them, but only once and a while. Would you be able to keep a pad in your room? He may need to have the pad in a really private place if he's been punished for going he may now be a "stealth pooper". You lots of options. The play pen or yard may work for you to both prevent soiling the house and upsetting your parents and also training him toward complete housebreaking. Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts