Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have to Chis, Mocha is 5 months and Roxie is almost 4 months. I'm trying to crate train them so at night before we go to bed, usually around 10pm I take them both out to go, they usually will always pee. Then I get up in the morning around 7 to let them out to go potty there is almost always poop in the crate....I'm pretty sure it's my younger one doing it. I don't know what to do to stop this? I've never trained a puppy before much less a Chi so I'm sure I must be doing something wrong...any help would be so much appreciated! Thanks!!

Melissa

·
Registered
323 Posts
Stay out side long enough for them to poop also try getting up a hour early. Crate training is hard. I pull food away about 6pm and leave water down... but i do this about 5 or 6 months. it also depend how much they weigh also if they are tiny i keep food down longer and have them in a x pen to potty on a pee pad...i have a tiny that i will never put in a crate i made our x pen small enough with a bed water food and pee pad for him to go one. i know during the day or night he will go befor he gets out side. I hope the best of luck to you...also if any are a female try litter box training them...i love my one girl she has been litter box trained since 3 months old and she is 3 1/2year old...she will go out side but she is a indoor doggie

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
It takes time to potty train so don't get discouraged or give up. They have small bladders & usually have to go potty 15 minutes after they eat. You're doing the right thing taking them out before bed & in the morning; just make sure when they go you get all crazy with praise so they know they're doing the right thing in the right place. They're young & they're going to have accidents. Be patient.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
How big is the crate? Crate training is easy as long as you get it right. If they are in together I would separate them until they are clean and dry. They should only have enough room to stand up and turn around.

Maybe try staying outside with them for 20 mins also make sure their are no traces of poo in the crate as it'll encourage them to go

Google crate training there's a lot of info there sorry I can't give you any advicr

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Maybe they just aren't old enough/big enough to make it through the night yet. I kept my girls in a crate at night but when they needed to go they would whine and wake me up (the crate was on my bed so I could hear them) and I would take them outside. They never went in their crates...
Good luck!

FWIW, mine weren't babies at the same time so they were in their crate alone...have no idea if that makes a diff. or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts