Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today we've had Miya one week...and feels like we haven't made any progress on puppy training. She will use the pee pads if she's enclosed in her exercise pen, but if she's wandering around the living room, not a big space at all, she goes where is convenient. I have picked up on her pee pee dance. When she does the dance, I pick her up and put her in her pen. Now she is peeing in her bed that we have set up...ughhhhhhh :confused:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have potty trained a lot of dogs and no dog is the same and no dog is easy or quick or guess I should say quick enough...lol. It sounds like she just hasn't identified the potty pad as the place to go. If you have a spare room (like an extra bathroom you can give up for a day or two) line the whole floor with pads then watch for the pee-pee dance and take her in there but don't make a fuss until she potties, when she does love her up. After she has done that with some success lay a pad in each room 2 or 3 if its a large room (you might have to lay down pads that she has all ready piddled on at first if she has a hard time making the connection) make sure you leave a pad in the bathroom. Then gradually take the extra pads up one at a time until your down to the one in the spot you want her to use. Be patient you may be walking around land mines for a good while. There is nothing concrete if she don't get it just keep trying it will click sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
She looks very young...

It takes alot of patience and diligence on your part to get them trained. Try keeping her confined when you can't watch her constantly, or tether her to you.

I have never had much luck with puppy pads, even though two of my Chis were supposedly puppy pad trained when I got them. I have a 4 month old pup that I'm working with right now that will NOT potty in the crate, no matter what, and I have him on a strict schedule of going outside (on a leash) every hour and a half. This works great for me - we haven't had an indoor accident in 3 weeks. All he wants to do with the puppy pads is shred them! As he matures, I will extend the time between taking him outside to potty. Right now, his little bladder can only hold it so long.

Maybe she isn't a 'puppy pad' kinda girl?

·
Registered
52 Posts
She looks very young...

It takes alot of patience and diligence on your part to get them trained. Try keeping her confined when you can't watch her constantly, or tether her to you.

I have never had much luck with puppy pads, even though two of my Chis were supposedly puppy pad trained when I got them. I have a 4 month old pup that I'm working with right now that will NOT potty in the crate, no matter what, and I have him on a strict schedule of going outside (on a leash) every hour and a half. This works great for me - we haven't had an indoor accident in 3 weeks. All he wants to do with the puppy pads is shred them! As he matures, I will extend the time between taking him outside to potty. Right now, his little bladder can only hold it so long.

Maybe she isn't a 'puppy pad' kinda girl?
Very wise words i think :) I know it's frustrating, but a week really isn't a very long time, just like real kids it can take a bit. Hang in there! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts