Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl, chinese crested/chihuahua, turns 1 here shortly and I have been struggling to get her potty trained. I have potty trained a lot of dogs and have used a lot of different tactics but I'm stumped and looking for some suggestions and fresh ideas, she's a smart little girl but we haven't found the right method for her. I have had her since she was 3 days old so I have been working with her since she was trying to walk. My daily routine included taking her outside every hour after she could stand on her own. When she would potty I would give her all sorts of praise then take her inside. It wasn't until months later, we found she was deaf and my praise wasn't heard. Her nightly routine was a pee pad next to the bed if I couldn't make it outside. I was 7 months pregnant when she was born so I had some bad nights her first few months on getting her outside every time during the night. I continued the every hour routine for 6 months. That was when we discovered she was deaf, no wonder she didn't seem to care when we would tell her no and our praises weren't working! We continued with the every hour training and giving her a small treat every time she potty-ed outside but she continued to go in the house. I assumed she just didn't like being outside being hairless so tried offering her a location in the house to go but she wouldn't go on the potty pads no matter the type we purchased or scents we put on it, she squats where she feels like it :( I eventually purchased a washable diaper for her. My goal was to keep her in the diaper while in the house and then remove it and take her outside. But the diaper rubbed her skin raw at her back leg joints after just a couple hours, I couldn't do it to her. I even sewed a silk fabric around the entire diaper to help her but she didn't mind feeling wet and continued to go whenever and wherever she needed to. We purchased her a door bell, with the deafness she is pretty quiet at most times so we would never hear her at the door. We have resumed our first method of training. We have a timer that goes off every hour and someone different in the house takes her outside with a 5 minute timer. We have her boop her paw on the door ringer then take her outside. If she goes she is given a treat and she if doesn't we take her back in and watch her before the next hour. But we know she is going in the house still. She gets up in the night and pee's. She isn't going in any specific location which is making it difficult for us to keep track of where she has gone, she is so small a lot of her spots go un-noticed. We want to get the entire house cleaned but wanted to try and think of anyway to deter her from wanting to go in the house. If we leave the front door open, she is more likely to go outside when she needs to, but if she has to go while running around inside, she'll stop and go. We have tried vinegar on the carpets, different odor eliminators to try and make her 'not' want to go inside.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Does she have a crate to keep her from pottying at night? Dogs usually won't go in their crate, especially if there is not enough room for them to both go potty and still lay down in their crate. If not, maybe try crate training for when she can't be watched vigilantly.

You are still giving her treats when she pees outside or on the pad?

Make sure you are cleaning the places she pees on with special cleaners. The cleaners have enzymes that break down the small amount of odor left on surfaces that humans can't smell. The odor left over from them pottying somewhere attracts them to a spot, so they potty there.

They also sell spray that attracts them to potty pads (and I think outdoors, but I haven't used it in years).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts