Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm not getting anywhere with the potty pads. We have ahrd wood floors throughout the house and my chi hates it. So, whereever there is a soft blanket or towel, she will pee on it. I have her in a room during the day and I put a blanket on the floor so she's be comfortable. She goes on the comforter instead of the pad. Should I just get rid of all the blankets and put potty pads so she will learn?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
potty training

Maybe you should try crate training and put the baby in the crate with only the pee pad. Chis hate to be in messes so maybe this will teach him/her to go on the pad?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Re: potty training

Yoshismom said:
Maybe you should try crate training and put the baby in the crate with only the pee pad. Chis hate to be in messes so maybe this will teach him/her to go on the pad?
can you please tell chiwi that chi's hate to be in messes lol.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

luv4mygirls said:
Yoshismom said:
Oh, but did you forget - Chiwi thinks the pee pads are for having wee wee pad parties! :lol:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts

chimom said:
luv4mygirls said:
Yoshismom said:
Oh, but did you forget - Chiwi thinks the pee pads are for having wee wee pad parties! :lol:
lol exactly! she hasn't wrestled with her pee pad in awhile though but she will go poo in her cage at work and then step in it. i don't really buy the saying that all dog's won't poo or pee where they eat or sleep. if someone goes by that saying then they need to get a job at a kennel for a week or so lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm

That looks like a good idea. But I wonder, is that going to teach her to pee on them so when I take her over people's house, will she be trained enough to go directly on them, or should I train her to go outside when I'm with her?
But the pooch pad is definitely a great idea for when I am out all day at work.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Re: hmm

mfhutch76 said:
That looks like a good idea. But I wonder, is that going to teach her to pee on them so when I take her over people's house, will she be trained enough to go directly on them, or should I train her to go outside when I'm with her?
But the pooch pad is definitely a great idea for when I am out all day at work.
whenever i go places with chiwi i always carry a spare wee wee pad in her doggy diaper bag. i make sure i show it to her and bring her to it repeatedly so she knows where it is when in an unfamiliar place.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good suggestion

Yeah, I bring them everywhere too but she's still not going ono them but I have to repeatidly show her the pad and put her on the pad. I guess everntually she'll just get used to it. I think those pooch pads are a money saver.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Glad to know that there are other people struggling with the same problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone been able to train thier chi's to go outside, or am i hoping for too much? :? This is my first small dog ,so I have never had any experience with puppy pads.

Tammy

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Tamilyn said:
Has anyone been able to train thier chi's to go outside, or am i hoping for too much? :? This is my first small dog ,so I have never had any experience with puppy pads.

Tammy
Never fear! Cooper is here!! He's been going outside since he was about 3-4 months old. I trained him using the potty pads and he didn't like them very much but he used them religiously for his #1 stuff. #2s were reserved for underneath my bed until about 6 months of age.

All the books I read before getting a puppy said that if you see your dog using the bathroom on a pee pad, praise them like there's no tomorrow. Also, say phrases like "go potty" or whatever you intend to say when it's time to try outside.

As a general rule of thumb, puppies can hold their bladders for as long as their age (up until 8-9 months) ... i.e. a three month old puppy can hold it for 3 hours. I used that theory with Cooper, taking him out every 3 hours or so when he was 3 months old and either it actually worked or Cooper's a genius ... or both.

Also figure out how long it takes for your dog to use the bathroom after they eat or drink a lot and try to beat them to the punch by taking them outside 10 or so minutes before they normally would do their stuff.

And this may be gross but I would take the pee pads that Cooper had used and rub them on the grass in the yard in hopes of getting his pee smell on the grass. I also let my friend's dog come in my back yard and play so he'd mark territory in the yard and Cooper would smell it when it was his turn to go out. Who knows - I thought it might encourage him to pee outdoors, if only to re-claim his territory.

One thing I do know for sure is Chihuahuas seem to be a bit more stubborn than other breeds when it comes to potty training. I got really lucky with Cooper - he almost wanted to go outside and showed very little interest in ruining the carpet. Now when it's raining like crazy outside, I'll take a pee pad and put it on the patio so he won't have to get wet. Every time, he looks at the pad, looks at me as if I have just insulted him, and runs out into the rain and takes care of his business.

It can be done!!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i had that problem too ........they used the potty pads but also rugs ,carpets, towels etc :?
i just removed them until they were completely potty trained ;....and now i've put them back ......

kisses nat

·
Registered
119 Posts
The weewee pads have a scent to them that attracts dogs to pee on them. I think it is the actual pee scent to them that only dogs can smell. I'm sure you have heard before that dogs pee in places where other dogs have peed, so this creates that scent so that the dog will pee there. They are mostly used for puppies to show them where they are supposed to pee. As they get older you can wean them off, to use a newspaper. Some people just continue to use them for older dogs when they leave there house, and I think it is because there dogs are probably more likely to use the weewee pad than a newspaper.

It all depends on your dog. Vida never always used the weewee pad so it was easy to wean her off to a newspaper because she still doesn't always use it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts