Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
I know this is probably a really common topic. However I am new to getting a Chi and I am having a fairly hard time training him to go to the bathroom in the right spots.

I do have pee pads set out and I will get up and put him on then - He sits down on them looks at me and then walks away - only to pee on the floor 1 foot away. GRR! LOL.

He does however poop on them - but I have moved them so that the spot where he commonly goes poop is where the pads are located.

Alot of people seem to say treats. He's 11 weeks old and he's only 1 pound, 10 ounces. Even the smallest treats that I have found are rather big for him and upon breaking them down sometimes he can't eat those either. HELP!

I would like to say that if I take him outside he will use the restroom - we live in upstate NY though so right now most days are just to cold for him.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. He's really a wonderful dog! <3 and I love him to death; but I would loveeeeeeeeeeeeee it if he went potty in the correct spots lmao.

Thanks everyone.
Teresa:foxes15:

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
He's adorable,as Dottie was so small i used" DOGS "chocolate buttons (not human) for training as they are so soft,only gave her a quarter ,as soon as she woke up onto the pee pad,watch carefully first sign of wanting a pee ,on the pad,also if he's going poop on the pads give him a treat and lots of praise,sure he'll get the idea soon

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm in love with his little face! Remember, God made puppies cute so we wouldn't kill them when they did stuff like this! ;)

Another thing you could try is placing the pad into a box/tub of some nature (which you will want when he's grown up a bit, in case he decides to lift his leg - which he *may* even if he is neutered) as this will sort of contain him a bit. Less exits for you to guard. :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Holly was this way in the beginning she is 12 weeks 1 day. We got her very young 5 weeks 4 days old. When I knew she had to go I would put her on it she would sometimes walk off and pee right near it also but I started once she walked away putting her back on the pad till she went she learned she peed I quit putting her back on it lol.. He is a cutie though :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got my Chi at at 11 weeks old and it took me a week to get him pee pad trained. I kept his crate in a pen with food/crate on one side and pads on the other. He automatically began to do his business on the pads. Every time he went in the right place we gave him chewed up baby carrots as a treat. He absolutely loves them. He is now 3 months old and has the run of the apartment when ever we are home and are watching him. We give his treat when he goes in the right place. But he still has accidents (not sure why at all) maybe once a week.

As the weather slowly will start getting better, the hard part becomes how to teach him that its okay to go outside. He took him outside a few times already and he seems to hold it in.

But lots of crazy praise and treats works really good !!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I got a bag of tasty treats, but then got another container and put his regular dry food in it with a few crumbled tasty treats. That way he's really only getting an extra kibble or two, but it tastes better and he loves that I hand it to him. Giving treats really helped him understand he was getting rewarded for going potty.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Make sure that he is confined to a smaller space. When Odie was a puppy, and we needed to leave for a couple of hours, we would confine her to a puppy play pen. In it we had her food, water, crate, toys, and on the other side was a pee pad. I would suggest using something like this when you can't supervise him 100% if you want him to use pee pads. He's going to make mistakes, and you just have to remember to be patient. I know how frustrating it can be! You'll probably learn the signs of him looking for a place to go, and you have to get him to the pee pad asap! At first, you might need to put your hands up so he can't leave that space until he pees. Such a pain, but it's worth it in the end!

Do you plan on using pee pads for his whole life? If not, I would scrap the pad idea, and go right to outdoor training, or you'll have to go through the training process all over again in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.