Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- so, I am having a really hard time potty training Lina. She'll go outside and go poop in the morning when we get up but 10 minutes later I walk into the toy room and there is poo on the floor. She also goes in Gaige and Dawns room during the day. I tried pee pads but she doesn't really know what to do with them. I finally got the idea of getting baby gates for the the rooms I don't want her in (the kids room and the toy room are right off the kitchen) and putting her in the kitchen and breakfast nook area (they're tiled). Anyway- I'm moving her bed and toys and everything into the livingroom (some of it is carpet and some is tile but she has never gone potty in there) and just getting her a little closer to the back door, so maybe she'll put 2 and 2 together.

I was wanting to start her using pee pads too because I'm not home sometimes during the day and I can't take her with me everywhere I go (even though I would love to). If she could learn to use those then I wouldn't have to worry about her going on the floor at all. But, since she hasn't used them, is it going to be really hard for her to do it now that she's a year? And how do I get her used to going on them? I heard from someone on here (a while back) that there is something you can buy to draw them to the pad. Does anyone know what that is and where I might be able to get it?

I really want to get this dealt with so I can set her up and get her used to it before we bring Lee home. I want him to use puppy pads and outside also.

So girlies, any advice?? :)

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
i think the praise thing works when it comes to the pee pads, its almsot like after they figure it out and use it one time theyll always og back. with my babies theyd sleep in their crate at night and when id take them out id bring them straight to the pee pad and theyd go since they had to go so bad and id make it a big deal. but thye do sell ones with a scent that is suppose to attract them. good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is it possible for you to place her in a playpen while you are away from home and in it place a pee pad if you'd like? I say this because it seems that she wants to go outside the majority of the time and she's pretty used to it. This way if she doesn't want to go in the pen she may be able to "hold it' until you get back and if not she won't be going on your living room carpet. Not sure if it makes any sense but it may be worth a shot.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a great idea, except I'm afraid the only play pen I have is one with netting on it, and I wouldn't want her claw through it or something. My gran would kill me lol. Maybe I could get an x pen or something...would that be pretty much the same thing??

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Once Cooper figured out the going outside thing, he was weary of the pee pads. I just started slapping him around. (KIDDING!) I just kenneled him during the day but didn't leave him for too long. He was very stubborn about it.

I did train him by watching him ... when he went pee on the pads, I'd throw a party, just like you do with a kid... I'd say "Cooper went potty!" and clap and dance and the treats would fly around the house. When we'd go outside, I'd just say over and over... Cooper went potty... and he would. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts