Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought I would be asking for help when my chi's are almost 2 year's old.
Penelope is fully potty trained :cool: Tyler seems to have regressed according to a recent convo with my soon to be ex husband.

PP and Tyler are coming home mid July ignore siggy. Still need to update it.
Any suggestions?

He will be getting neutered either the last week of July or the first week of August.

So with a new house, his birthday and getting neutered I'm at a loss. This is going to be a lot on him.

1) I'm contemplating doggy diapers.
2) Going to purchase puppy pads as they were puppy pad trained when they were younger. Ideally I would like them to be able to use them for the winter months as it gets cold in upstate new york.

Husband thinks because he's not home a lot and unable to bring him out that this could be causing it. They are kennel trained and will not do there business inside there kennel which is good!

What would you recommend for re-training him?

When they first get home I will be home for a few weeks with them with the exception of Monday and Wednesdays were I have school from 9am to 2pm. I won't be home roughly from 7am to 4pm those days.

· Registered
345 Posts
Could he be regressing due to changes and stress. We had to retain ours when my sister left because they started going anywhere.

We used the teether system and it worked because it helped learn the little cues that each of them give when they need to go out.

· Registered
5,822 Posts
Could Tyler be marking? If he is, than neutering MAY help. It's hard to tell once the behavior has started until after the neuter.

It may be a cry for attention. Chis are companion animals and they don't like being alone. If your husband isn't home much, Tyler may be resentful, especially if he is crated when alone.

As briarrose said, it may be due to confusion and stress. He misses his mommy and doesn't understand what's going on. Also, from your other posts, it seems as though your husband doesn't seem to keen on giving him the attention/care that he needs.

For some dogs, it can be difficult to train them to go on pads and outside. Toby was easy. Whenever he peed in the house, I moved it to the pad and told him to go pee pee there. And he had one in his crate with him at first. He quickly learned that he could only pee on the pad. When he was outside, it was natural for him to go potty outside. Now, he poos and pees outside and pees on pads when he has to go inside. It is possible, but don't expect it to be easy.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aww thanks :D

I really hope it's due to stress him being left alone. I don't know if my husband is kenneling them together during the day like I did. We have 3 kennels. 2 small one's and a medium one. I used the bigger one during the day when I wasn't there with them and the small one's were only used at night if they were getting on each other's nerves so for the most part they stayed together.

I think part of it is he's marking because he isn't neutered so I am hoping that helps with that end. The only thing i think of causing the pooping in the house is that he is not bringing them out on a regular schedule or thinking he can keep them on the same schedule as the bigger dogs which clearly isn't working.

When I was home I would bring them all out together regardless of there schedule. Roughly every 3 to 4 hours. It worked well with all 4 of the dogs. The other 2 being boxers. I was also home with them everyday were my husband can't be do to the fact he is in the military.

I guess its going to be a wait and see thing with him. I'm sure I'll need more input once he's home and getting him on a nice schedule again.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lets see when I have them they normally wake up around 7 or 8 am. They go outside and go potty right then and there.

I will normally bring them out around 11am, 3pm, 6pm & 9pm.

If I am gone part of the day I will take them out once I am home and retain the rest of there schedule.

· Registered
3,471 Posts
I'd say it's quite likely to be due to stress. Just treat it like he's a puppy again. Consistency and rewards are the key and when he realised that the schedule is stable and back to normal he should be fine. I'm training my new boy to go on a 'little quirts litter tray'. Have a look for it on amazon. I'm going to just train him on that so that it's consistent and then he doesn't have to wait until I'm home or until I let him out and then I don't have to find it in the yard to clear it up and he can go during the night and I don't have to crate him for his safety.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.