Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would like to ask your advice about potty training.
Poppy has been with us for 5 days and before I bought her I read up about crate training. We live in a small apartment, and the winter here is freezing so I decided to keep taking her to a designated area in our washroom, which has a large plastic tray with newspaper in it. I have been taking her every half an hour or so to the spot and she mostly goes there. But....she is still doing her business around the house when I am not watching her and most worryingly, she has started to poop in her bed at night, even though I have been getting up in the middle of the night and taking her to the bathroom....is this normal? I am hoping eventually to take her to do it outside, but she also doesnt seem to understand what I want from her!
Thanks!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hey

Your doing everything right, taking her there every half hour is perfect, and her going in her crate.. well they usually have to get out every 2 hours.. so if you want no acciedents in there, get up every 2 hours.. although, in time most of these guys stop that because they dont like sleeping in there own poop. Sera has some space outside of her bed by her crate, and goes there through the night if i dont get her out of there before she has to go... but eventually it will stop as her bladder is more able to stay full longer i guess u could say.. but anyways, its better for her to actually go in the bed (hassle for cleaning, yes) but i think she'd catch on faster.. like .. ' ick im not liking sleeping in my own potty..' so maybe she'll wake you up ect.. theres not much to do about that unless you keep an eye on her 24/7. Sera is .. 10 weeks now, still goes in her crate, but is getting better because ive been waking up once or twice during the night.. ummm dont expect too much outta ur pup, as its been only 5 days.. ive had sera for... 4 weeks and she still has acciedents and will for few more months, or longer... depends on the dog. i will adventually be getting her to go outside to go potty all the time as well, so i take her outside every so often to go potty and she'll go, but i dont take her out there all the time because its very cold.. so i suggest you take her outside once a day to go pee or something -- as some dogs get confused once the owner wants them to go on the grass... because thats not what their used to. i hope this helps, anymore questions just ask! :D

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for that Kurrazie, when you are new to all this, it is good to hear that you are doing something right! And its so cool that our pups are the same age too! I really dont expect her to have learned much yet, apart from the fact that we love her to bits!
Perhaps we can compare notes from time to time!
:)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Be sure to make a big deal about it everytime Poppy does go in the right spot...give her kisses and hugs and speak to her in a happy voice. Also, you could get her a special treat/toy and when she goes potty in the right place, you reward her with that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you find shes messing her crate try taking everythingo out of it (I know its hard to leave your baby without even a blanky but it will work in the long run) I did this with Callie and she finally got it. It may also be a matter of the crate being too big for her, if she feels she can poop in one end and sleep in the other she'll keep doing it. You could try sectioning off the crate to make it smaller. The bottom line is it takes time and at some point you will probably be so frustrated that you don't think you can handle it anymore (I've been there!!) but she will get it eventually. Callie is 16 weeks old now and the only issue we're having is her missing the pee pad (seems to think that if she has one foot on it the mess will land there too) Anyway best of luck and whenever you get frustrated just look into those adorable eyes and it will all go away.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I trained my chi differently than all of you it seems. :p I have a huge crate for her...it is for a 100 lb. dog. :lol: I put her bed and food and toys in one end and her peepad on the other end, and there is still room for her to walk around. This way, whenever it is at night and she is in there she goes in the right spot, and even when we take her out of there and let her roam around (which we do all day), she will jump into her crate and pee on the pad. So far she has had very few accidents.

Good luck to you and Poppy with the potty training! :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
umm see, ive read things where ur not supposed to have anything but a bed in there for them... and there food no.. cause thats what makes them have to go :lol: and potty pad isnt recommended in their either unless you want her to go in there her entire life, cause once you take it away.. she'll be like ' umm where did it go? oh well. *squat*'

·
Registered
374 Posts
Kurrazie said:
umm see, ive read things where ur not supposed to have anything but a bed in there for them... and there food no.. cause thats what makes them have to go :lol: and potty pad isnt recommended in their either unless you want her to go in there her entire life, cause once you take it away.. she'll be like ' umm where did it go? oh well. *squat*'
Yeah, I read that too, but the way I do it WORKS for her. She never has accidents this way.

I do want her to go on peepads all the time because I think it is too cruel to take her outside in the winter. And, she doesn't only go in that spot in her crate. If there is a peepad in another room she will go there too. She isn't only accustomed to one spot.

I don't think there is just one method.

:D

·
Registered
433 Posts
You're absolutly right czarina. I considered your method as well but couldn't get my hands on a large crate whereas I already had a small kennel. The way I look at it if it stops the pup from messing in the house then that makes it a good method in my books!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I trained similiar to czarina - I had Bosco in a large X-pen (2 x-pens put together actually) which gave him ample room to run, play, eat, drink, potty, and sleep....and he was suprisngly easy to train with piddle pads. I plan for him to always use piddle pads although he does know that if he is outside he can go anywhere in the grass.

You just need to find a solution that works for YOU. :) Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts