Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So up till now i've used the pee pads for Godric on a "holder" and they've worked out great.

Until he learned a new awesome trick - to cock his leg.

So now i'm mopping the pee pad area a couple times a day and he's still either just missing, or lazy and not getting all the way on the pad.

I'm off this weekend so I want to start a full time transition to outside potty only, like Gretel who also has been having more accidents than usual, is it unrealistic to think he can hold it to go outside for extended periods of time? I work the same schedule usually, but there is a 5ish hour period he wont get a potty break, I don't want to leave the pad and confuse him but i've also never transitioned, we did Gretel cold turkey but she was older.

We take Godric out everytime we take Gretel out and I just don't think he understands, he'll even hold it and do it on his pad when we come in.

So questions: Do you have any tips for the change? Do you leave potty pads down only sometimes without confusion? Do you take your dogs out separately?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've never transitioned a dog from pee pads to outside, my girl goes outside and always has. However, I will say that she can hold it for 5+ hours with no problems.

If it were me I would remove all pads and start treating him like he was a puppy. He is crated or tethered to you at all times. He goes out and gets tons of praise if he potties. If he doesn't he is back in his crate or tied to you for 5-10 minutes and then back outside.

The reason I would remove all the pads is that I think it would be too confusing to him to be asking him to potty outside but still have the option of the pads inside. Black and white works best, no gray areas.

I bet he will get the idea pretty quickly. Good luck!! You can do it!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Vanna was taught cold turkey at 8 weeks and she is using the pad only for urine. She refuses to use the pad for poo, but will if theres an absolute emergency. I have her in an exercise pen for a little bit of freedom with a potty pad in there, but when I cannot watch her I crate her. She has not had an accident in the crate for a few days now, and we've been consistenly going outside to potty whether she "tells" me she needs to or not. I am also gone for a few hours sometimes and she even sleeps about 9 hours a night with no accidents! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stick a 1/2 full soda bottle on the potty pad. He'll hit it, trust me ;) Just gotta give them something to cock their legs on.
This is a really good idea! I might just give this a try. (Zippy misses his pad and ends up getting the back door from time to time.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts