Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new dog mom. My little one does not like going outside to potty if it is raining. I have gone so far as to carry her out under a big umbrella and stand over her. As soon as I put her down she runs for the door. Is it possible for a dog to learn to potty in the rain? (she is three years old)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Of course it's possible, anything is possible! :)

My pack walk in the rain, slush, snow, wind, all of it.
It may take time and patience on your part but you
can definitely teach her to tolerate the rain. Do you
use any treats or praise when you walk her? Do you
interact with her, speak in a silly voice and try to
make it fun and exciting? Sometimes that is all it
takes, that and consistency. Most importantly do
not give into her fits, do not baby her or let her
boss you around, you must stand your ground,
after all you are the one who provides the food,
therefore you make the rules, not her.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
ps: she might be more afraid of your big umbrella than she is of the rain. Have you tried going out in the rain without it?

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, tried it sans umbrella too. I guess, I will keep trying. Dang, it is easy to give into her running to the door! When she does that again, should I repetitively carry her out to the yard again? Left to herself, I don't see her getting to the yard on her own! Luckily we don't get that much rain here!

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Odie isn't that fond of the rain either, but she's getting much better about it. I wouldn't use the umbrella. Does she go to the bathroom inside instead of going out in the rain? Are any parts of the yard covered by an overhand where she could go? Like LS said, it will likely just take time and lots of praise so she starts to associate it with something positive. I also bought Odie a little rain jacket, but that's not really necessary. If you're not opposed to using tiny treats for training, you could start to associate rain with treats until she's more comfortable, but then she'll be expecting it.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is weird is she will "go" on wet grass or mulch after a rain but if rain is coming down that is when we have an issue. She seems to be able to hold it. She has only had two accidents in the house which I blame on my husband :coolwink: who was in charge at the time!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Mine won't even walk outside the open double french doors onto the huge wide COVERED verandah to pee if there's as much of a hint of rain, sigh. Again, I just put it down to "it's a Chi thing". Trouble is, there's so many darn "Chi things".

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Sonny could careless about the rain but my Diva BG ugh you would think I am killing her making her go out and get her feet wet. I force her to go and she can not come back in until the deed is done.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Neither Angel nor my golden, Susie, like to go out in the rain. Angel will go inside on a pee pad or outside. What I have done since we got him, is to take him out on leash, always, for doing his "business." When he's done, he can run around the yard. In this way, I figure he will soon connect the leash with serious stuff and not play time. So far, it is working. Also, I have had dogs that won't potty if they are on a leash. That makes it difficult if I'm in an area where they can't run free.

But, I take him, Angel, out on a leash in the rain, he will usually pee, but depending on whatever, he may want to come right back inside, then poop on his pad. Which is okay with me!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Bella hated the rain at first too, she darted for the door at every opportunity she got. I was determined I wanted a fully house-trained dog so I just persevered until she got it, besides we live in the UK and we get a lot of rain so if she never went out in the rain she'd never go out at all, lol. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I know a lot of Chis who won't set foot outside when it's raining, snowing, cold, windy, etc... But if you just be persistent about it, she is going to get the idea that she has to do it. It may just take quite some time. A lot of people use pads for bad weather days, but if you don't want her using pads in the future, stay away from them now. Gemma uses pads but that's because she's going to use them for the rest of her life. She does still potty outside when we go for walks, though. She loves to potty outside, lol.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby has potty pads that he uses in between walks, when the weather is bad, etc. I agree with Caitlin though- don't use them unless you are prepared to continue to use them. Otherwise it will just confuse her.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I use potty pads too as I never know if I will be working 8-10 hours (my normal day) or 20+ hours. Every day is different and can change without notice so this way my kids have a spot to go. When I am home I let them outside and they prefer outside except the Diva when it rains LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I guess one have to be persistent. When snow starts falling I hope those of us in cold climates will have well behaved dogs that will go out when it's -20c!!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Holly loves going out in the rain but Zoe my older one does not we still go out and I just tell her to potty and she goes to the door then I tell her again she has learned she is not coming back in till she goes potty lol..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts