Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told this today and want to get everyone's take on it...

The guy in the butcher shop told me that you should never feed raw or cooked poultry bones. He said that they are hollow inside and can splinter when the dog is chewing them or after swallowed....?

Also, I bought a beef bone with marrow inside. Marrow is good right? And...I know it's too much for Miya to have at one sitting so when she's done with it, can I refreeze it and not have to worry about it drying out? The guy at the butcher shop also told me that some people will boil the bone and then refreeze it..wouldn't that be feeding a cooked bone then???

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
No, no and no. ;)

Raw chicken bones are excellent. They don't splinter. Dogs have a very acidic stomach acid and are equipped to digest bones and raw meat. Raw bones wrapped in meat are required for raw feeding. All chicken bones are edible as are quail, rabbit, and some pork bones. I personally don't feed turkey bones as I have found them to be too hard.

Never feed cooked bones of any kind. That goes for those smoked bones you see in pet stores. They will fracture teeth and aren't digestible. Don't boil bones either.

Marrow is very fatty. I would not feed marrow by itself. I would scoop it out and portion out over time with other meals. Use marrow bones at your own risk. They are the weight bearing (femur bones) of cows. They are made to hold up thousands of pounds. They are very dense and hard. Therefore, they can crack teeth on a vigorous chewer. If you have a dog that will gnaw on it only, they might be OK.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
yeah raw bones are fine! WTF is that idiot talking about?! LOL listen to Brodysmom! she has all the knowledge! shes like a raw feeding guru :p x

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It just did not make any sense. He also said that the marrow was great for dogs. lol o man. I'm glad I only paid 50 cents for it. jeeeez

1 - 4 of 4 Posts