Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my foster pound puppy to my own vet today to get their opinion. I am not too carried away with using the shelter vet. He wanted me to bend her bones.
Her knee is on the back of her leg instead of the front. When she first started walking her foster mom at the time noticed her leg was deformed or something. She was told to take her to the vet . LuLu was 4 wk old. At that time you could roll the knee around and bend the leg and tuck it up. The vet said to keep doing that and he might have to splint it later on. Well, he should have splinted it right then. I got her at 5 1/2 weeks and it was all I could do to turn it 2 more times. So now the knee is froze behind her and her leg is stiff.

We went to my own personal vet today and he recommends to have it amputated when she is spayed at about 5 mo old. Or just wait and see how she does with a bum leg and maybe leave it as it is. She does get around, but when she sits, she is sitting on her knee! The surgery to rebuild the leg would be way too much money.

So I guess we will just wait and see. 2 of the puppies have found homes, and we have 2 more and the mother to adopt out. The mother was cherry eye in both eyes. She was dumped out pregnant along with another chi mix. We think the mothers are chiweenies.

pam in TX

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm so sorry you and the dogs have to go through this! If it's any consolation, dogs do surprisingly well with three legs and it might be a relief to her to not have anymore pain if you do go the amputation route. That's probably what I would choose to do in this situation.. but wow, that's a difficult choice to have to make. :( I'm sorry! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
52 Posts
My heart goes out to you, what a very tough call. Whatever the choice you make, I'm sure that the life that wee dog will have from here on out will be oceans better than what it was. I wish you and the puppy the best!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I personally don't have experience with a 3 legged dog. I do though with Pete, my 3 legged cat & I can tell you this once he recovered he was every bit the cat that all the 4 legged cats were and then some. He lived a long happy life. He adapted to the situation perfectly. I have been around several 3 legged dogs throughout my life and after the initial awhh feeling a person gets ~ the ones I saw trucked right along and were happy from all appearances.

That's so sad for her. But if it were me I would consult a vet or two and if they thought it should be amputated I would definitely amputate. I was completely shattered when it happened to Pete (cat) but I know how he did afterwards and there just honestly wasn't a noticeable difference when he was out getting his birds running in the yard and just being a cat. It did not set him back. Now if you looked at him from the amputated side he looked like a mini kangaroo, but I know on several occasions people would see him in the yard being a cat and when he would come in they were jaw-dropping shocked to realize he had 3 legs. In his circumstance 3 healthy legs was better than 3 healthy and constantly having to adapt to having a 4th that didn't work.

Certainly not an easy choice. I hope what I have said helps though if you do have to go through with the amputation and if you have any questions you can ask or pm I will answer what I can going through it with a cat, which I know is different but there would be a lot of common ground there too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts