Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a few questions about timing and when I can do certain things with my puppy, Rogi:

1) He's only had his 1st set of shots. Getting his 2nd round in 2 weeks. Rogi is almost 3 months old. Am I not to bring him outside for walks at all and keep him inside? I live in an apartment. Do I just stick to him doing his thing on the puppy pads indoors for now?

2) How old was your pup when they first started wearing a collar/id tag?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Please don't wait for the 2nd & 3rd shots to get your pup out. Bring him to pet shops, stores and every where he is allowed. Just don't let him walk on the ground. Carry him. He should be meeting all kinds of people, kids, elderly, people with hats etc. Carry a few tiny treats that you can reward him with calm behavior. Most puppy kindergartens don't require the whole series--just one to start off. Good luck Sue

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Sue! Yes, I have been bringing him to many places and he is so happy to meet new people. So glad he loves his carrier and falls asleep easily in there too. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd suggest that if you aren't going to walk your pup until they've had the third round of shots, then get him use to the collar/leash as soon as possible. I started walking my little girl at 3 months. We live in an apartment too and do not use puppy pads so she could only go outside. She walks everywhere on her own, but before she had her last round of shots I took special care to only take her to potty where other dogs weren't likely to have been. Ein was very difficult to teach to walk on leash (she'd pull backwards and dig in her heels except if we were heading in the "home" direction) so I'm glad I started early. Sounds like you have the socialization part well in hand, though!

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I don't know if you're in the UK or elsewhere. but id say its pretty much essential before he's innoculated to not let him out on strange grass etc (in the UK) But thats pretty much what id advise, wait those couple of extra weeks till he's covered then you can take him where ever you'd like to!

As for collars id say straight away, from a young age! Nows the perfect time when youre bonding with him, he'll soon take no notice of it :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I take my puppy out in my front yard. My other dogs both go out there too. I sure hope that's ok. She tends to stay closer to me though and I sit on the front porch and the other dogs go out further in the yard, each has their own particular spots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts