Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just cuddling with Prada and giving her a belly rub when I noticed she was bleeding so she is officially on her first heat now

I was wondering if there is anything I can do for her right now?!

I know that she has to be on leash and I will look out for other dogs, is there anything else I should take care of?

my little man is too young to mate with her so I thought it is ok to let them play with each other for her 1st cycle rather than separating them (he is only around 4 months)
Is that fine?
I believe that male dogs don't produce fertile sperm up until they are around 6 months old and that females are not ovulating until their discharge turns clear around 12 days after the bleeding starts...
so in the future can I separate them as soon as her bleeding starts and keep them separated for 21-30 days to prevent accidental pregnancy?
BTW we have decided not to spay them. I have read many veterinary journals on the pros and cons of spaying and personally I decided not to go with spaying

·
Registered
407 Posts
Have you put a diaper on Prada so she is not soiling your home or herself? Personally unless she is a showdog or you plan on breeding I have always thought it is healthier for the chi to spay or neuter.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I would personally not risk having both together. I know of so many ppl who have male and female and who thought they could handle it without any "accidents" to happen or it wouldnt happen as they thought the male was too young. And some weeks later they had to find out that they were not as good in it as they thought, as the female was expecting puppies. Hope you can find a solution.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Very much agree with the others here. I wouldn't take the chance that your male will not be able to impregnate your female. Just because males "typically" don't start producing sperm this early doesn't mean that YOURS hasn't.

Also, I respectfully disagree with your decision to not to spay your female. My own research indicates a far greater health risk to an intact female. That, and we lost a family dog, a little 5 pound pomeranian, to complications from pyometra, because my ex-husband refused to have her spayed. She was in wretched misery before she died. I would not knowingly put another dog through that, ever again.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I also agree with the others. Hope's breeder begged us not to spay her saying that the discharge was so slight that we would perhaps not even notice it.

Speaking with vets and doing my own research, I changed my mind and now WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with Tink. The evidence, for me, was overwhelming to have it done.

Each time they come into heat, hormones surge and each "exposure" increases the risks of many things. I was shocked to learn that they get breast cancer, ovarian caner and uterine cancer just like we can. I did not know that at all!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thanks for everyones input
I will keep them separated
I have now bought diapers, but her bleeding was very light so I didn't use it, if that changes I will
As for the spaying, I can see both sides and I do see the benefits of spaying, but there are also many disadvantages to it and I think for the time being I won't do it. Thank you very much though for all the advice :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I usually dont agree to spaying. But I think in your case it is necessary. Seperating means both being in different houses while your female is in heat. Males can suffer a lot when females are in heat and they cant get to them! They get sick, stop eating, whine all day/night long, and try to get to the female even if that means they are getting hurt. I find that very unfair for both of your dogs. How did you plan on keeping them together in the future, when your female is in heat??

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
If you're planning to show Prada, and I mean GENUINELY PLANNING TO DO SO, not just farting around w/ the idea, then, well, you can't spay her. And TBH LOL why show if you don't plan to breed? I remember you mentioned you were interested in showing both your pups so just keep them separate during her heat, better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're planning to show Prada, and I mean GENUINELY PLANNING TO DO SO, not just farting around w/ the idea, then, well, you can't spay her. And TBH LOL why show if you don't plan to breed? I remember you mentioned you were interested in showing both your pups so just keep them separate during her heat, better to be safe than sorry.
I am genuinely planning to show them, especially Prada (not sure how Gucci will turn out to be once he matures, but I am hoping he will be a good competitor too)
We are currently taking show/obedience classes and once they are ready I hope to enter my first show.. I am just really nervous about it because I don't want to seem like an idiot haha
If they do win shows and perhaps become champions I do plan to get a stud book number for Gucci or maybe breed Prada.
My breeder said she can mentor me if they are successful in shows (although I am hesitant in wanting to breed Prada, I don't want to risk losing her)
If they don't do great in the shows, I will be leaning toward spaying them.

I usually dont agree to spaying. But I think in your case it is necessary. Seperating means both being in different houses while your female is in heat. Males can suffer a lot when females are in heat and they cant get to them! They get sick, stop eating, whine all day/night long, and try to get to the female even if that means they are getting hurt. I find that very unfair for both of your dogs. How did you plan on keeping them together in the future, when your female is in heat??
They will both be in the same house, but we have 5 bedrooms (3 are inside and 2 are outbuildings)
initially I was planning to keep them in 2 separate rooms, but if you think it will put Gucci under pressure I could put him in one of the outbuildings but they are currently unfurnished so I guess I have to make it more homely for him first.
The 2 breeders I got my chis from both had several female and male dogs but they would obviously not breed them each and every time they were in heat for health reasons. She kept the females and males in separate crates and before I got Gucci I asked if she thought it was a good idea, she did say that it was fine as long as I separate them at the first sign of Prada coming in heat

·
Banned
51 Posts
Hi

I hope you don't mind me responding to your post.

I show my dogs at open and champ level and am not sure how much you know about showing so I apologise in advance if you already know this.

Becoming a champion in the UK is not easy. You are up against over 100 dogs each show you do and you have to beat every other dog there including other champions to gain a CC towards your championship. Bitch classes are very strong. I have only seen a picture of pradas head and face and she looks nice but obviously cant see her structure. You also said you have a show contract with both your breeders? No reputable breeders would sell a young puppy on a show contract as they do not know if they are show quality so that would be a little bit of worry to me, also unless they are exhibitors themselves it's doubtful they will know whether the pups have any potential.

Also you don't get a stud book number like buy one, and both bitches and dogs get them you get a stud book number (for long coats) by earning the following
Junior Warrant
Challenge Certificate
Reserve Challenge Certificate
1st in Limit Class at a champ show
1st, 2nd, 3rd in an Open Class at Champ show

Keeping your pups separate is going to be difficult and putting a chihuahua which is going to mature at 3lb into an out house (he maybe to small to show??) is dangerous. I would personally send one to a family or friend, dogs will open crates, get through doors etc and nappies are useless they will mate and tie through them same as belly bands. 3 weeks of stress is no fun, everyone I know who has both intact boys and girls (me included) send the boy away for 3 weeks or however long their cycle is.

Regarding spaying/neutering unless you are going breed or show it's healthier for them to be spayed/neutered lots of bitches die from pyometra and with a 25% survival rate for closed pyo I would urge you to research a bit more as I'm not sure where you have found anything stating do not spay! Also you CAN show a spayed dog as long as the KC know about it before hand :)

Lol word of warning intact boy dogs can be pains for marking, a bellyband will
Be your best friend and wow when prada comes into heat on her next season expect them both to mark like crazy lol no fun!!

Good luck if you choose to show and btw if you are going to Ringcraft you won't look like an idiot and the judges and stewards always help newbies as do other exhibitors!! I'll look out for you :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have to say nature instinct is very strong. I have a dog and 2 bitches, the bitches were younger and they only just finished their season a couple of months ago. The day I thought I have seperated the dog very well, I turned round and he got into one of my bitches. I have to do a quick thinking and get my bitch to the vet to have the injection. It was the heart breaking day as I'd never heard that scream noise from the bitch that loud. It's the injection she has to have to stop her getting pregnant. The course of this involved 2 injection, 24 hours apart. I live in a very big house with 6 bedrooms, and also a basement, but the sense is stronger and my dog who usually are very laid back broke out where I kept him despite I though I have blocked him properly. It's ony a matter of 3 seconds and he was there mating one of my bitch. It's very hard to sperate them.

I was told by the vet that a week before the season and after the season, they can still get pregnant. If a dog is done, it takes at least 3 months before it's safe to keep the dog together with a bitch.

PS My dog is done now but it was such hard stressful work to even seperate the dogs (both dog and the bitches) for me and the dogs as they more or less play and sleep together before the season.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I would definitely watch very closely.

And have fun at your shows when you do go :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts